Communicating with Your Doctor...BE SURE TO READ THIS!!

Fri Dec 7 12:06:20 2001

[] Communicating with Your Doctor

http://www.endowisdom.com/communicate.html

It's vitally important for a woman with Endometriosis to be able to communicate effectively with her doctor. Of course, this is a two-way street; but there are some things the patient can do to encourage a positive outcome.

BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT...Take a few minutes before every doctor's appointment to set an objective and make a list of appropriate questions. For example, you might want to come away from the appointment with a treatment plan for the next month. You may want to schedule a surgery date or discuss alternative treatments. Or you may be having a new, bothersome symptom that you'd like to discuss. Think about what you'd like to talk about and what you want from the doctor. It's helpful to put this in writing and go over it several times before your appointment. Write down all your symptoms and questions, all medications you're currently taking (including supplements), and gather together all recent medical records and lab results. (See section about Obtaining Your Medical Records.)

IN THE WAITING ROOM...As you wait for your appointment, go over your questions and your objective instead of reading a magazine. That way, you'll be focused when the doctor is ready to see you.

DURING THE APPOINTMENT...After you greet the doctor, state the purpose of your visit clearly and concisely. For example, "I am here today because I have been having pelvic pain for two weeks every month. I've taken over-the-counter analgesics, but that doesn't help. I'd like to discover the reason for this continued pain and find some way to deal with it." It's important not to minimize your symptoms or be vague in any way. Don't ever say, "It's probably nothing." Women are taught to downplay significant symptoms and often under-report pain. As a result, we may not get the care we desperately need.

Be specific about your symptoms. It's helpful to chart your pain symptoms on a daily basis, so you can see how often you're in pain. Keep a Pain Diary which describes all your symptoms, when they occur, how long they last, and the intensity of the pain. Developing a pain map of your body which shows the doctor the exact location of the pain is also helpful in diagnosing Endometriosis.

With specific information, you can accurately inform your doctor of your symptoms. For example, you might say, "Two months ago, I began having pain with sex. I have a deep pulling pain and burning sensations with deep penetration, sometimes for up to two hours afterwards. It happens most often during the middle of my cycle." Don't be embarrassed about your symptoms. Talk in straightforward language that makes your symptoms clear to your doctor.

Simply saying you have "cramps" usually doesn't raise a red flag in the doctor's mind. But telling the doctor you have sharp, knife-like pain in your lower pelvis for five days each month does. By providing specific descriptions, you can play an important role in obtaining a correct diagnosis and treatment plan.

IF YOUR DOCTOR DOESN'T LISTEN...If your doctor minimizes your symptoms, tells you it's all in your head, to "just relax," recommends pregnancy as a treatment, or gives you medication without a thorough physical exam, you would be well-advised to consider finding another doctor who listens and understands. Women with Endometriosis often endure years of misdiagnosis because no one ever listened to them. You may have to be persistent to find a doctor who will work with you.

GET A REFERRAL...If it's clear your doctor cannot provide the degree of care you need (or the two of you simply do not get along), ask for a referral to someone else. You might say something like, "I'm not comfortable with the treatment plan you have outlined. I would like a referral to another gynecologist."

SUMMARY...Developing a good doctor-patient relationship takes some time, but is worth it when you find someone you can trust. The best way to get good care is to:

* Be persistent

* Don't downplay your symptoms

* Be clear about your pain

* Search until you find the answers you need

* Research, read, and talk with other women with endometriosis

* Listen to your heart

~ ~ ~ ~

(NOTE: If you suffer from endometriosis, there is alot of excellent information at the above website!!)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: