Thanks to everyone who asked about me

Wed Jan 23 21:52:23 2002

Hello Everyone: Many thanks to all of you who asked about me and kept me in your thoughts when I had my surgery on November 28. I wound up being rushed back to the operating room on Dec. 4, Dec 7, Dec. 10 and Dec. 14. So I am not yet 6 weeks postop. I will update my quilt when I get a chance, but so far so good, I am still in some pain but for the past couple of days I have only taken one pain pill each day. I went through the surgery well-massive adhesions hanging from my diaphragm along with a piece of my small intestine hung there also plus the many more in my abdomen. None of my problems were the fault of my doctor. I sprung a hole iny small intestine(I don't have a large intestine it was removed in 1996. Of course with fecal contents in my peritoneal cavity I became very ill with extremely high temp and had to be opened the second time. To sum it up quickly, I would develop 2 fistulas, reject 2 implants of mesh for my hernia, one implant was Gortek mesh and then my surgeon ordered especially for me a new hernia repair that is made from pig intestines. He said he thought I would be a perfect candicate for it and it had just been released for use in the USA. He said it would blend in with a persons body and grow into their flesh and stay pliable as opposed to the synthetic meshes that can get very stiff. However, I might not have rejected it if I had not originally been contaminated with fecal material eventhough I had been irrigated very well and appeared not to have any spots eaten away by the contamination. So my hernia was repaired by starting inside with suture and sewing tissue together to try to hold the sides together until they could grow together. So far so good can barely tell it was ever a huge hernia. My last surgery was in 1996 when I had my large intestine removed because it had been destroyed in an automobile accident. Lucky no colostomy. Had just enough sigmoid to anastomose to small intestine. I am so hopeful I will be one of the lucky ones but it's just one day at a time. Thanks again. Dolores in Louisiana dtouch@bellsouth.net

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: