Re: Possibly facing third attack of adhesions!

Thu Feb 14 22:21:37 2002

At Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Jo Eslick wrote: >
>I hope you get the relief from medication that you need soon, visit us
>here, and we will support you... it's OK to complain and describe your
>pain,you will always find someone who has a similar experienc to you.
>It's weird, but there is an odd sort of comfort that someone else has
>experienced it & understands what you are complaining about....
>

I really have to agree with this, Jo. One of the things is that for me at least every pain has two aspects. There's the actual pain itself and how to make it bearable, and then there's the gnawing worry that this pain is the signal of some TERRIBLE DISEASE!!!!!!! I've always had sort of a morbid curiosity about all of these rare and exotic diseases, and it is really comforting to hear "oh yes I have that exact same kind of pain and they've done all of the tests on me and it has to be caused by the adhesions." Because then I can't be lying there awake torturing myself saying "oh this MUST be ovarian cancer (or whatever horrible disease I've got in my head) and I'm gonna die a horrible death because this can't possibly be the symptom of anything else!"

Cheryl, I have another kind of bizarre suggestion for how you get through the next 2 weeks. Get a whole set of permanent markers in all different colors. Then every time you get a pain, make marks on yourself where the pain is. And also keep a diary as to what date & time and how long and what intensity each attack is in each place. Then for the next 2 weeks you can feel like you are actually DOING SOMETHING about the pain and not just in a holding pattern. And you ARE doing something useful in that you are collecting valuable information that can be used by a doctor in a treatment plan.

And finally, of course, come here and whine as often as you need to. Or want to!

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: