Re: Chronic Pain/Sally

Tue Feb 26 16:11:27 2002

Here's a copy of what I wrote. Love, Sally

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Sally Grigg To: broadcasting@scottish.parliament.uk Cc: Evelyn.McKechnie@scottish.parliament.uk Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 2:23 PM Subject: Chronic Pain

RE: CHRONIC INTENSE PAIN (caused by abdominal adhesions) TO; SCOTTISHPARLIAMENT.UK DATE: FEBRUARY 26, 2002

To Whom It May Concern: My name is Mrs. Sally Grigg, I own and manage an Inn in Northern California. I have been in pain since 1967 and acute pain since 1999, following an abdominal operation (hysterectomy). I understand that you are debating the treatment and under treatment of chronic pain and wanted to add my story.

I searched for years for a doctor who would listen to me and realize that I needed pain medication to help me manage to live a decent life. I've had four operations in 2 1/2 years, each showing massive, severe adhesions filling my abdomen. As soon as the procedure was over, the adhesions started growing again. I intend no more surgeries unless the adhesions strangle my organs again causing life threatening situations.

No doctor would give me adequate pain relief even though I have been an upstanding member of my community for many years. My husband and I own and manage an Inn and a large ranch (for thirty years). I am President of our local Inn Association, am treasurer of our local church and have no history of drug abuse (quite the opposite in fact). None of that mattered. The doctors, even those who have known me all these years, did not want me to become a "drug addict". They were willing to prescribe medications with horrible side effects that did nothing for the pain. Some of these drugs made me ill.

I finally found a doctor who was willing to work with me on medications and I now take a straight form of opiate that works. I am now able to function and once again work a full day (with time here and there in which I lay down and rest, of course). When a cure for my adhesions is found, I am sure I will be able to cease taking the opiates. I am quite strong willed and would prefer to not be dependent on medications. I do prefer that, however, to laying in bed and sobbing most of the day and night.

With kindest regards, Sally Grigg (Mrs. Charles Grigg), P.O. Box 121, Westport, California U.S.A. 95488

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: