Re: Stacy

Tue Mar 5 07:01:10 2002

Hi Stacy:

Well, you say you'd appreciate any knowledge that I have...so here goes. Stacy, you need to get a copy of your operative and pathology reports to clarify what exactly was done and the diagnosis, so that you understand all this. This is the beginning step on the road to helping yourself.

Doctors often use words that are very confusing, and we need to make them clarify things for us. I am always telling my doctors to 'just say it in English'. Ovarian tumors are either benign (no cancer) or malignant (cancerous). There are some extremely rare ones that are termed "borderline", but they are actually cancer with a very low malignancy potential. Regardless of age, the minimal surgery for all ovarian cancers is removal of the ovary involved.

Once you know what the 'term' of your diagnosis is and what was done during your surgeries, you will then be able to research and help yourself. Anyone who has adhesions needs to understand that every surgery that you have may make the adhesions worse. Here in Canada it can be difficult to get your doctors to give you the information that's in your file. They treat it like it's a secret that only they can know. You have a right to a copy of everything in your files. The good thing is that you have a doctor that recognizes the problems that adhesions cause. In my opinion, though, s/he needs to explain things more clearly to you.

In my humble opinion (and remember I'm not a doctor), it would be a shame if your doctor has accidentally allowed you to believe that you have cancer if you don't, or if you did have cancer not to have excised it all.

Stacy, I hope that this information helps you, and please post back to the forum with any other questions or comments you may have. If I don't know the answers, I'm sure that some of the other people will be able to help you out. You, too, are in my prayers. Best wishes.

At Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Stacy wrote: >
>Hello Clare!
>
>Thanks for writing! Yes I had Ovarian cancer in my right ovary and it was
>completely removed ( It was benign and was the size of a nerf
>football.....it was in the center of my ovary). However, I keep getting
>cysts on my right side?!? It just doesn't make sense to me. They are
>appearing on my bowel and have been removed. My doctor says it is due to
>adhesions? I don't understand. I am also starting to get cysts on my left
>ovary that keep growing. They are not cancerous yet, however I am nervous
>as I was getting cysts that grew and sometimes ruptured on my right ovary
>since I was thirteen until just last June....I am thirty now. I am afraid