Hell-yun

Mon Mar 18 14:12:29 2002

Dear Helen:

I read your post to Sally, and I just had to respond. When I read how people with chronic pain are treated, it really burns my butt. Although I do have pain, I don't suffer as badly as many of you do. Yet it really peeves me that this issue seems to be an example of 'man's inhumanity to man'.

When I was 2 yrs old, my mother was in a serious car accident (hit by a drunk driver) and she was crippled for life at age 34 yrs. To this day, she still suffers. Every movement she makes is painful, and no Dr. will give her proper pain meds, for fear she'll become addicted. Imagine, my mother at now 73 yrs old possibly becoming an addict and not having that pained expression on her face anymore! Imagine, my mother not feeling pain for just a few hours of one day! And they are afraid she might become an addict. Oh, she's given pain meds, just ineffective ones that have dammaged various organs over the years, but never killed the pain.

I have always been an advocate for proper pain management, and I believe that it should be universal so that all parties involved can understand what pain control is, and why it is used. I believe that it's time that the media explain to the masses just exactly how some people suffer needlessly while the drugs needed sit on pharmacy shelves. Until someone has experienced unrelenting pain, THEY HAVE NO RIGHT to criticize those who suffer. How dare anyone treat a person in pain as though they were a 'druggie'!

Helen, I don't believe that you are a druggie. I believe that you (like many others) are a very brave woman, who deals with pain daily. I believe that you face each day with courage, and no matter how bad things get YOU will survive. These critical-minded people usually are the ones who, if anything did go wrong with their health, would run screaming to their doctor expecting help. Helen, I take my hat off to you and anyone who deals with chronic pain - and I pray that soon people will understand how much needless suffering goes on in this world.

Yesterday morning, my very dear friend died after a long, nasty battle with cancer. Her doctors (thank you God)administered pain meds liberally. Good doctors, and fine men. Her husband told me the Dr. told them he would not let her suffer. Kindness supreme.

Helen, be proud of yourself. Don't let the nastiness of others ever affect your outlook on any day. You put your chin up, take a deep breath, and carry on the best you can. If they knew what you deal with on a daily basis, they would be ashamed of themselves.

In the words of a very wise man "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do"...

--
Clare

--
csheedy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: