Re: doc says NO WAY areadhesions back..

Sat Mar 23 06:55:32 2002

"G"

There are NO barriers available here in this country that have proven to be effective. They are in the trial stages of testing SprayGel in two states in this country. This particular barrier is the only one that I see as being promising. I would not however subject myself to a 50% chance of not getting the SprayGel used. If I was in the 50% that did not get the Gel I would have just worsened things for myself.

Adhesions begin to reform immediately after your surgery and stop about two weeks later. It is very likely that this pain is adhesional pain. You aren't crazy. Your doctor is just uneducated when it comes to adhesions. Take the time to search the IAS site and educate yourself. Make copies of all the literature and bring them to your doctor so that he too can learn. Perhaps, in a way, he is right. It isn't the adhesions that are causing the pain. It is how they attach themselves to the different parts of your body....those parts are where the pain is coming from. After the two week reformation period all the adhesions do is strengthen themselves. But, as we all know they can and do become very strong.

If your doctor continues to tell you, even after you bring in the materials, that adhesions don't cause pain I would recommend that you find a new doctor. But, don't be in any hurry to have more surgery. It will just make matters worse. Don't be afraid to take pain medication. And while you are researching the IAS site read the stories on the quilt...including mine. You will find every reason why you should not have more surgery.

God Bless,

Karla --- "g." <yoonmenam@msn.com> wrote: > Hello all,
> I was wondering what anyone thinks of statemnet
> my doc gave me today. I had lysis of adhesions
> 9 days ago and am now again experiencing pain,
> that feels the same as pre-op. I just wonder if
> the adhesions could be back and doc says, "There
> is NO WAY the adhesions are back." He says on
> exam that my sigmoid colon was impacted and
> that I shoould go home and do an enema, and if
> pain persists, that he would put me on a low dose
> anti-depressant, amd refer me too gastro. doc.
> hummmmmm
> I wonder if I should just seek a second opinion?
> what would you do? except and trust my doc. or
> jsut chalk it up to my stupidity of not seeking a
> different surgeon/gyn that does beleive in pelvic
> adheisons barriers. This guy says there is not
> proof
> that barriers work in post-op hysterectomy
> patients.?
> anyone here of that?
>
> bye for now,
> Gwen
>