Re: Help with abdominal adhesions...

Sat Mar 23 19:27:56 2002

Scotty

That would be Dr. Reich and Dr. Redan. While Dr. Redan is good...my thoughts are that if I were able to have surgery it would be with Dr. Reich as my main surgeon. He has been doing the adhesiolysis' much longer and has a much better success rate. The problem there lies in having to come up with money upfront. A substantial amount. There is also a doctor in Germany, Dr. Matthias Korell (Gosh, my memory is shot...someone correct me if I am wrong there). He is an excellent surgeon, has the capability to use the new SprayGel barrier which appears to have great potential versus the others which have proven to be quite ineffective and also has a good success rate. Now, one might think, that being in Germany you couldn't afford it. It is actually less expensive to go the Germany route and the potential is there to get insurance to cover it. But even if it doesn't it would cost approximately $6,000 for her to fly over there, have her surgery and the follow-up laprascopic surgery about ten days later, have a place to stay and food. The people that have flown over there in the past have given this as there cost and that even included a small bit of sightseeing. If you were to go over there with her of course you would expect the costs to go up some...but they would not double. I believe the length of stay is about two weeks or so.

Offering a personal opinion...I would go to see Dr. Reich if I could get him as the surgeon. Otherwise, I would probably go to Dr. Korell. Those are just my thoughts. Your wife will probably never be pain free. But she should be able to live a normal life. These are the steps you need to take. Don't take her to see anyone else. They just don't have the skills or the knowledge. And as you have learned each surgery makes it worse. You need the best. Please take the time to tour the IAS site...educate yourselves and also visit the quilt..read the people's stories...please take the time to read mine...its Karla Nygren (since there are two Karla's I need to be specific)...you will see why you need to get the best.

God Bless!

Karla

--- Scotty <koln1963@earthlink.net> wrote: > My wife, God Bless her, suffers constantly with
> abdominal adhesions. She
> underwent a procedure two years ago, which the
> doctor promised would
> improve her quality of life. She began to have
> adhesions shortly after
> the first surgery. The originial doctor refused to
> fix what they did.
> The second surgery was performed by a different
> doctor who removed some
> of the unncessary work and some adhesions but still
> left her with a
> mess.