Clare, and answers to questions

Mon Apr 8 13:32:01 2002

--Boundary_(ID_7AI9fFZIlY3rsnPbaaxQnw) Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Clare, Hi, I first had adhesions after a partial vaginal hysterectomy, laparoscopically assisted by a gyn. that I had only starting going to. He had told me I had had a prolapsed uterus and adenomyosis. I thought the surgery went well, but only a few short weeks later I started to experience pain and gastrointestinal problems that I had not endured before. I went to my PCP, a Gastro, test upon test, and nothing was found. I didn't return to the GYN for any follow-up as I found is demeanor deplorable.

That was April of 1999 that I had that surgery. This dragged on for months, never finding any answers. I found a new GYN March of 2000, they told me I might have adhesions, I had never heard of that before. The pain lingered on and so did nausea and vomitting, weight loss, etc. The new doc scheduled me for a total hysterectomy mid July, but the first few days of July I became very ill, and could no longer eat. I was admitted emergently and had surgery the following day. He removed both ovaries, tubes and did my first adhesiolysis. He only did the adhesions in the pelvic cavity because he is a gynecologist, not a general surgeon.

I was well until October of that year, when the pain and the symptoms returned, full blown. I searched for a general surgeon, was refered to a pain doc, and I hated HER !! No one beleived me or thought I had anything to operate on. Upon doing research I found this board and the surgeons in PA. Dr. Redan, and Dr. Gerhart put me through the test of questions and calling me and were ever so gracious.

March of last year I finally had my adhesiolysis, as well as an appendectomy and removal of my gall bladder (surrounded by massive adhesions) hmmmmm, wonder why I always was in pain.

The doctors did a great job, so I had adhesions in my lower pelvic cavity as well as my upper abdominal cavity. Honestly I don't know how long after the surgery I started to feel better, because other things were going on with me. I didn't do much activity, as the surgery was a little more extensive then first thought.Dr. Gerhart and Dr. Redan were my surgeons and I would certainly recommend them or even have surgery by them in the future if it were warranted. Kind and compassionate men, that's what I can truly say.

As far as a barrier, I don't recall them using one. I do remember them telling me they do something to keep from bleeding, as not to have the adhesions form. I know this surgery isn't the answer for all, as we all are different. And we all heal differently. I just would like the board to know that I am a success, it took me a very long time to realize that ... as far as the success rate is I was never told the statistics.

It took me a full six months to realize I was not in pain anymore and that I was doing very well physically. There were other reasons surrounding my well-being, as to why it took me 6 months to realize this.

I pray for you and whatever your decision is, regarding surgery is yours alone. Please feel free to email me personally if you wish, I am not here to dictate to anyone what to do, I just want those of you that are still suffering with ARD, either before or after adhesiolysis that I had two adhesiolysis', one here in VA, and one with the doctors in PA, and that's what it took for ME.

Keep the faith, and I am here for you...and all that suffer. I will keep you in my prayers.

Karen

--Boundary_(ID_7AI9fFZIlY3rsnPbaaxQnw) Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

Clare,
Hi, I first had adhesions after a partial vaginal hysterectomy, laparoscopically assisted by a gyn. that I had only starting going to. He had told me I had had a prolapsed uterus and adenomyosis. I thought the surgery went well, but only a few short weeks later I started to experience pain and gastrointestinal problems that I had not endured before. I went to my PCP, a Gastro, test upon test, and nothing was found. I didn't return to the GYN for any follow-up as I found is demeanor deplorable.

That was April of 1999 that I had that surgery. This dragged on for months, never finding any answers. I found a new GYN March of 2000, they told me I might have adhesions, I had never heard of that before. The pain lingered on and so did nausea and vomitting, weight loss, etc. The new doc scheduled me for a total hysterectomy mid July, but the first few days of July I became very ill, and could no longer eat. I was admitted emergently and had surgery the following day. He removed both ovaries, tubes and did my first adhesiolysis. He only did the adhesions in the pelvic cavity because he is a gynecologist, not a general surgeon.

I was well until October of that year, when the pain and the symptoms returned, full blown. I searched for a general surgeon, was refered to a pain doc, and I hated HER !! No one beleived me or thought I had anything to operate on. Upon doing research I found this board and the surgeons in PA. Dr. Redan, and Dr. Gerhart put me through the test of questions and calling me and were ever so gracious.

March of last year I finally had my adhesiolysis, as well as an appendectomy and removal of my gall bladder (surrounded by massive adhesions) hmmmmm, wonder why I always was in pain.

The doctors did a great job,  so I had adhesions in my lower pelvic cavity as well as my upper abdominal cavity. Honestly I don't know how long after the surgery I started to feel better, because other things were going on with me. I didn't do much activity, as the surgery was a little more extensive then first thought.Dr. Gerhart and Dr. Redan were my surgeons and I would certainly recommend them or even have surgery by them in the future if it were warranted. Kind and compassionate men, that's what I can truly say.

As far as a barrier, I don't recall them using one. I do remember them telling me they do something to keep from bleeding, as not to have the adhesions form. I know this surgery isn't the answer for all, as we all are different. And we all heal differently. I just would like the board to know that I am a success, it took me a very long time to realize that ... as far as the success rate is I was never told the statistics.

It took me a full six months to realize I was not in pain anymore and that I was doing very well physically. There were other reasons surrounding my well-being, as to why it took me 6 months to realize this.

I pray for you and whatever your decision is, regarding surgery is yours alone. Please feel free to email me personally if you wish, I am not here to dictate to anyone what to do, I just want those of you that are still suffering with ARD, either before or after adhesiolysis that I had two adhesiolysis', one here in VA, and one with the doctors in PA, and that's what it took for ME.

Keep the faith, and I am here for you...and all that suffer. I will keep you in my prayers.

Karen
--Boundary_(ID_7AI9fFZIlY3rsnPbaaxQnw)--

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: