Jo Eslick has had Major surgey.......

Fri Apr 12 08:57:20 2002

Hi Everyone

Yes, well it is Friday night after ten pm. Jo went to theatre at around 1.15pm Thursday afternoon, Surgery started at about 2pm or a little before and here is a quick round up of events from there. Sorry it may be a bit short in places but I have to leave Jo something to say don’t I……..LOL.

I suppose the first thing was Prof. Thierry Vancaillie and Dr Jason Abbott CUT Adhesions for FIVE and a half hours. They were able to remove everything from the abdominal wall in front and down the right hand side to the pelvic floor. On the left hand side they were stopped by major blood vessels, they released several loops of bowl, the bladder and the vaginal vault.

They cleaned meticulously and fill the cavity with saline solution. I was able to see Jo in recovery she was in great pain (Surgery pain) mainly in the upper body around the shoulder due to the positioning during surgery and the gases caught in her shoulder joints, this pain was greater than the pain from her abdomen for some time. They moved her to Acute care for the rest of the night.

The pain continued to be a problem throughout the night resulting in two anaesthesiologists remaining with her through the night administering meds (80mgs of morphine over about six hours). I stayed until after 1am when Jo was starting to catnap, only unknown to me she stayed awaked until about 5.30am when she slept for about an hour and a half.

When I arrived about 9.15 am Jo had already had a shower and was just sitting down where she stayed for about an hour before going back to bed. They attached an PCA so Jo could administer her own morphine at a rate of 2 mg every five mins with a continuos feed of two mgs every hour (first 100 mgs used in about six hours).

This help stabilise the pain for her and she was able to return to the ward and enjoy FREEE fluids and we all know how we look froward to that, she just loved the coffee I got her it tasted ssooooo good…..lol. she slept for about two hours off and on until tea time wowowow Jelly, clear chicken broth, lemonade and orange juice…Oh and a coffee..

OK now no sign of the ovary remanet or the Cyst, Jason suggested that it could have been one or two of the loops of bowl full of liquid that showed as a cyst. PROGNOSIS is good and with the reduction of surgery pain over the next couple of days we will be able to get a better picture of how much of a pain REDUCTION she may get…

So all very positive at the moment..and WE could not have done this without your words of support, prayers and good wishes that we received throughout all this, Jo and I are soooo grateful to you thankyou.

Like the “UNBELIEVABLE “ staff of the hospital you guys are fantastic and great friends.

Warmest Regards Shane & Soft n Furry cuddles from Jo……..

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: