An ESR test is a diagnostic blood test -- a high reading indicates inflammation.

Sat Apr 13 15:32:09 2002

An ESR (a blood level test) is a diagnostic blood test - a high reading indicates inflammation.

If you've had an ESR diagnostic test done, the results of your ESR will appear in your medical records.

If you haven't already requested copies of your medical records, NOW is a good time to do so!!

If you arent sure if you've had an ESR test, ask your doctor about it at your next regular appointment.

When I recently had a physical, I requested that I wanted an ERS blood test.

X X X X

Clinical Utility of the Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate - The following " Reference Ranges for the ESR in Healthy Adults " are from this website:

Ages under 50 years...Men 0 to 15...Women 0 to 20

Ages over 50 years...Men 0 to 20...Women 0 to 30

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991001ap/1443.html

If you haven't read Tracy Joslin's message about the ESR, I hope you will. People, who suffer from ARD, need to become their own best doctors!!!

X X X X

From: Tracy (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org) Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:45:33 -0500 (CDT)

If you want to have your SED rate tested, most often, you will have to ask for this to be done; unless you are working w/a Rheumatologist or other doctor who deals with inflammatory diseases (Lupus, Arthritis, etc). An elevated SED Rate, as mentioned in the article provided below, can also be indicative of other illness. Your lab report may show: SED RATE as the line item description and provide you with a range that is acceptable for your age group; and with most lab reports, if this item is either high or low from the acceptable range.....it should be indicated. And, your doctor should discuss it with you. If s/he doesn't, then ask! Often, an elevated SED Rate may have the doctor prescribing an anti-inflammatory (either over-the-counter brands or prescription strength).

The test can be asked for individually, but I've always had this done while drawing blood to check all my other "levels" [sounds more like I'm at the auto repair shop!]. Besides.....I'm only giving them one chance to get blood for anything and everything; I only have so much I can spare!

In prior years, my SED Rate has been tested and found to be elevated to the upper 60's, which is out of normal range for my age group.....we find that either the Endometriosis I deal with or the chronic adhesions (or combination) are most likely the cause of this elevated rate. Though Lupus was "suspect" for a while; but has since been ruled out. As with any lab results, it takes you and your doctor discussing your medical history, current physical state and symptoms to gain a clear understanding of an elevated SED Rate.

This elevated level seems to drop after surgery to remove the adhesions and the endo. But, this is just my personal outcome from testing/surgery.

Everyone's results will vary. Please keep this in mind and discuss your results w/your doctor.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: