Significant Clinical Result in the Treatment of Adhesions with the SprayGel(TM) Adhesion Barrier

Wed Apr 24 16:19:53 2002

TODAY'S NEWS at PRNewswire has the same message; but is difficult to find. If you would like to read this at the PRNewswire website, I have listed the steps (1-5) - at the end of this announcement - to find the same Press Release at the PRNewswire website.

Significant Clinical Result in the Treatment of Adhesions with the SprayGel(TM) Adhesion Barrier

German Case Provides Freedom from Pain for the First Time in 22 Years for a Canadian Woman

WALTHAM, Mass., April 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Confluent Surgical, Inc. announced today that the SprayGel Adhesion Barrier, their flagship product, exceeded the clinical expectations of a leading German gynecologic surgeon in the treatment of a patient suffering from adhesion-related pain for twenty-two years.

Matthias Korell, MD, Privat Dozent of Gynecological Surgery, Duisburg, Germany, is recognized for his expertise in preventing and reducing adhesions in the abdomen and pelvis that result from previous open or laparoscopic surgical intervention. "The SprayGel Adhesion Barrier exceeded my expectations in reducing adhesions and represents a big step forward in treating patients with adhesion-related pain," says Dr. Korell. "We could see a complete adhesion-free abdominal wall one week after performing adhesiolysis." Adhesiolysis is the surgical removal of adhesions. "Having treated this patient since July 2000 for adhesion-related pain, this is the first and only time that significant improvement from pain has been recognized."

The patient, a Registered Nurse and mother of six from Calgary, Alberta (Canada), has had over twenty abdominopelvic surgeries in the last twenty-two years. As a direct result of these surgeries, she had developed adhesions. These adhesions severely impacted her lifestyle as evidenced by her inability to lie down or raise her arms above her head without pain. "The pain controlled my life, resulting in the loss of my job and dramatic feelings of isolation. Other products for adhesion reduction have been used during my past surgeries, but the pain would return in two to three days," said the patient. Eight days after Dr. Korell's use of the SprayGel Adhesion Barrier, she refers to her case as "a miracle - I feel very good with an overall sense of wellness and, for the first time in years I have complete mobility without pain."

Dr. Korell further stated, "there is no risk of the development of severe adhesions unless she has another traumatic surgery. While this case is of an extreme nature, the performance of the SprayGel Adhesion Barrier supports the benefits of the prevention and reduction of adhesions in routine gynecological surgery that may result in adhesion formation."

Adhesions and fibrous bands of tissue between adjacent organs of the body are typically caused by surgery and are directly related to pain. Adhesions can start to form within three hours after surgery and will cease forming when the sites of surgery heal, typically within seven days following surgery. It is estimated that adhesions affect over five million women and men worldwide and that the global market potential for total abdominopelvic adhesion management is estimated at approximately $2.6 billion (US).

Evidence of adhesion prevention and reduction is discovered when a surgeon takes a second look at the surgical site through a laparoscope, an instrument used to perform less-invasive surgery.

Amar S. Sawhney, Ph.D., founder, President and CEO of Confluent Surgical, Inc., said, "we are very pleased with our clinical results in Europe to date and believe that cases such as Professor Korell's represent additional evidence that differentiates the SprayGel Adhesion Barrier from all other adhesion barrier products on the market today."

The SprayGel Adhesion Barrier received CE mark in November 2001, and has been introduced in major markets in Europe. Based on a European clinical study, the patented and proprietary synthetic material of the SprayGel Adhesion Barrier has been shown to reduce or eliminate adhesion formation following abdominopelvic surgery. The SprayGel Adhesion Barrier is not commercially available in the United States.

Confluent Surgical, Inc., is a privately held company developing products based on its platform of in-situ polymerized biomaterials and associated delivery systems. For additional information, please contact Roberta Sawyer at rsawyer@confluentsurgical.com or visit the Confluent Surgical website at http://www.confluentsurgical.com.

~ ~ ~ ~

To view this Press Release at the PR Newswire website:

1.) Enter: http://www.prnewswire.com/news/

2.) Scroll down to SEARCH

3.) Enter: SprayGel

4.) Click: Go

5.) Click: Significant Clinical Result in the Treatment of Adhesions with the SprayGel(TM) Adhesion Barrier

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: