Re: entrapped nerve?

Wed Apr 24 23:16:46 2002

You talk about this pain being associated with or near your incision? There is something new that we have been learning about....it is found in individuals who have pain associated with incisions. It is called intertissal adhesions. If you check out the archives typing in intertissal adhesions you will find at least a small bit of information. Gidge, it really scares me when people have more surgery. It isn't that I know it all, but that I have been there.....just trying to have one surgery so that I don't have to have three more. I have looked and looked for that miracle surgery, but it doesn't exist. I don't know if you have read my story on the quilt. I don't know if it matters to you.....when I first found this site it didn't matter to me. I knew that I had to have surgery because I couldn't stand the pain. Well, I had the surgery. In my case I had to have a bladder revision because my ureters were backing up into the kidneys, a hernia repair and an adhesiolysis. Well, we all know the adhesiolysis didn't work...they are much worse than they were before the surgery and will be the cause of my death because they are wrapped around my ureters and destroying my kidneys. Not only that, but immediately following the surgery they discovered that the new urinary revision didn't work (is that because the adhesions had already reformed around my ureters....I think so.)and within two weeks I had yet another hernia...this one the size of a football. The hernia, the kidney reflux and the adhesions are all extremely painful and require strong narcotics, but I live with the pain. I do suffer tremendous depression...but I still live with the pain. I work myself through bowel obstructions. But that would be the only reason I would have more surgery.....unless I could get my reconstructive urologist to go in and take the adhesions off of my ureters....that would at least temporarily save my life. Even then I would have major thoughts about more surgery. I have died twice on the operating table...only to be brought back. You think alot before you subject yourself to more and you try to prevent others from making those same mistakes...which is why I am writing to you. Karla gidge <gidgesmail@yahoo.ca> wrote: thanks for your reply. He is considered one of the best surgeons in my area and the reason it may not be able to be performed by scope is the trapped nerve may be between the abdominal wall and outside, something that the scope couldn't see or get. I have done my research and feel that rather then have repeated surgeries and not fix the problem I would rather have it over and done with hopefully by opening it,getting the nerve and closing it. If it were able to be done by scope I would do it that way for sure! Thanks for your concern.

At Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Karla N wrote: >
> Gidge....
>I am going to be very blunt here and it is not intended as an attack on you. Have you taken the time to research adhesions and the affect of surgery...particularly laparotomies on adhesion sufferers? What kind of doctor are you going to let operate on you? Is he one of the handful in the world that is having any success with the removal of adhesions? If not you are asking for trouble....even begging for it, if I may, by wanting a laparotomy! If the surgeon is good enough he will be able to perform your surgery via laprascope. Many people are told by their surgeons that it can't be done via laprascope...only to visit the experts and have even the worst case done exactly in that manner. Its because they aren't qualified...or good enough to make it through. In my personal opinion, and it is just that, I wouldn't let this doctor touch me...not even with a ten foot pole. He better be fully capable of performing the whole surgery via laprascope and he better use the prop!
er techniqu >e to prevent adhesion reformation.
>Karla
> gidge wrote: Hi Connie, thanks for your reply. No he is planning on only going in
>with the scope to get my left sided bowel adhesions, if he can't get at
>them with the scope he will open me, I would far rather he just open me
>(since he may have to anyways) and explore the right end of the incision
>but he seemed reluctant to do so, so I'm having a laparoscopy/possible
>laparotomy. I wonder if I can just aksk for it?
>
>t Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Cbowl17@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>Gidge,
>> I also have severe pain right above my incision which a general surgeon
>>told me the exact same thing..he said he thought I had an ilioinguinal
>>entrapped nerve..I just had a nerve block and it didn't work...in fact it
>>made the pain much worse for about a week...now he talks about doing trigger
>>injections...did your general surgeon decide he would go in and try to look
>>at the nerve??? Please let me know...Thanks, Connie B.

Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: