Re: Surgery on May 8th

Thu Apr 25 09:25:40 2002

Karen, I think that I remember reading the transcript of an interview with Dr. Reich on the http://www.adlap.com site where he was talking about endo surgery and he said that one of the things he does that he thinks is important is to do a uterine suspension while he is in there. Somehow putting the uterus back where it is supposed to be helps to prevent the endo from returning. But anyway, it sounded like from this discussion that Dr. Reich at least does this sort of repair that you are going to have laporoscappally. And if I were going to have surgery, and I wanted the best chance of preventing the adhesions in the first place, then I think the doctors in PA are the best bet for that.

Other people might be able to give you more info, but I am afraid that this sort of surgery you are talking about is EXACTLY the kind that is most prone to lots of adhesion formation. This is where taking precautions beforehand is so important -- things like impeccable surgical technique, meticulous closing every cut blood vessel, and thorough cleaning of all blood from the wound, and perhaps the use of a barrier -- can give you a significantly better chance of having this surgery without forming significantly more adhesions.

When you already know that you have an adhesion PROBLEM, then I think that you have a strong reason to go with only the best when it comes to surgeons. I know that normally the Scranton doctors don't take insurance, but that's because the insurance companies don't pay nearly what it costs for this surgery. Depending on your insurance, you may be able to make a special appeal to your insurance company that YOUR case is different and they should pay for the more expensive surgery. The average Joe or Jane out there can have surgery that causes lots and lots of adhesions and never have the hint of a problem for the rest of their lives, so for the AVERAGE insured patient it is not cost-effective for the insurance company to pay for lots of adhesion-avoiding stuff. But you ALREADY know that you are not the average person when it comes to adhesions, so for you it IS cost-effective to pay more up front for surgery that has a significantly lower chance of causing many very expensive-to-treat problems down the road. Unfortunately the entire insurance system works in such a way that we often end up forced to do things the stupid way, but seeing as how it IS in the insurance company's financial interest to send you to Scranton or St. Vincents, it's certainly worth a shot. Maybe you'll get lucky and some real person with common sense will find your case and do what's best for you -- AND the insurance company!

At Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Karen Carter wrote: >
>Hi to all my "old" friends here on the board. I haven't really written
>too much lately, however, I am scheduled for surgery on May 8th for a
>bladder suspension surgery, as well as anterior and posterior pelvic
>floor surgery. I am not familiar with this type of surgery, nor am I
>familiar if this may cause adhesions. I have some discomfort in the low
>back and also where my ovaries "used" to reside. It feels as though
>they are being ripped out some times. I am on no pain meds, and I don't
>wish to be. I had my last adhesiolysis done in PA with Dr.'s Gerhart
>and Redan, a year ago March and have very little residual pain.
>
>I guess my fear is that the adhesions will return and I will have to
>once again be on pain meds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
>also feedback on if adhesions can form in this area.
>
>God Bless you all;
>Chrissy, you are a "pink" sweetheart, so get well. And the rest of you
>Gals and Guys get well also.
>
>Karen C.

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: