Re: There's always good news/bad news

Sat Apr 27 11:39:43 2002

Robin, This is the Queen of Hernias speaking. Yes, hernia repairs do cause adhesions. Normally they will go in and place a piece of mesh in your abdomen across the hole in your abdominal wall. They very carefully sew around the edges of the mesh to prevent other hernias from forming. As someone that has had several layers of mesh placed across my entire abdomen this does not guarantee that hernias will not recur. It is not necessary to have hernias repaired...particularly if you are an adhesion sufferer...unless it causes an obstruction. A hernia becomes a problem when segments of bowel push there way into the hole and become trapped. It then becomes a possibility for you to develop an obstruction. That isn't all that likely though. I have had this latest hernia (once again, my entire abdomen is probably covered with small hernias as it has been in all of my other hernia surgeries) for three years and have not had a bowel obstruction...in fact, with all of the hernias I have had I have only developed one total obstruction. Don't rush into getting a repair unless you become obstructed. I am sure it will be something that Dr. Korell can deal with when you get there. Once again, its my personal opinion. Karla Robin <rmasse2333@aol.com> wrote: Dear All

My DR recently gave me some new meds for my knees. The first day I started taking them (yesterday) I had less pain in them. My knee caps are rubbing on the femur on both knees. Last night, they did not wake me up with the normal horrible pain.

My DR also changed my MS Contin for the Duragesic patch. It has started working & I am taking less vicodin for the break through pain! I had been taking about 8 a day & still having too much pain, now, I am taking about 4 aday & hardly any pain.

Wednesday night, I wasn't sleeping as usual & was coughing & getting up to go pee & felt sick to my stomach. At one point, the area around my belly button was hurting, especially when I coughed & threw up. I now have a buldge there! I am really sure that I have a hernia. How do they normally treat hernias? I have never had one before. Do they always use surgery to repair them? Will a hernia operation cause more adhesions? I am going to call Monday to see if I can get in to see my DR about this, but any information will be greatly appreciated. love robin

Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: