Our society's bizarre attitudes towards pain and drugs and surgery

Tue Apr 30 17:30:03 2002

Our society has the most bizarre attitudes towards drugs and surgery, ya know? I read through Karla's quilt story, or any of dozens of quilt stories of people who have had dozens of surgeries, with most surgeries making things worse rather than better. At the same time that surgeons, and society in general, can look at Karla and say without blinking that there is nothing unreasonable about the 50-some operations which one after the other mutilated Karla's body, then they gasp in horror at the mere POSSIBILITY that IF someone in chronic pain who takes opiates were to get cured, THEN that person would have to go through withdrawl, or might have to stay on a small dose of methadone for the rest of his/her life.

Look at it this way. Take the following hypothetical scenario: Suppose spray-gel really is the cure for adhesions. So you go and have an adhesiolysis with application of spray-gel, and you are permanently pain-free. You use methadone to wean slowly back from your pain meds. You get down to 5mg/day, but you find that, no matter what you do, you can't get below that level without triggering a nasty withdrawl. Because the opiates HAVE caused permanent physical changes to your brain, and you are permanently physically dependent upon methadone to prevent withdrawl. Just like your uterus and ovaries are permanently gone after your hysterectomy, you can't reverse those neurological changes. So there you are, utterly triumphant after this long and horrible battle with adhesions, left with 1) a road map of scars on your belly, 2) a lifetime need for a tiny dose of methadone (which has no effects on you beyond keeping withdrawl at bay) and 3) a lifetime need for hormone replacement therapy to keep the menopausal symptoms at bay.

So like WHY would anyone POSSIBLY think that the methodone need is a problem????? They don't think that it is a problem that a woman needs HRT if her ovaries are removed, right?

Sometimes I think our society is just nuts...

At Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Sally Grigg wrote: >
>Dear Cathy and Tish, Hi, sometimes I try to cut back or go without my
>medication just to see if the pain is still there. I'm always hoping it will
>have just gone away. LOL. Anyway, all that does is make me feel terrible
>because it takes a while for the meds to build up in my body freeing me from
>some of the horrible pain, so I'm going to just accept that I need to take
>my meds at least until they find a cure. Because the pain is so great I just
>can't handle it, and not taking something that helps me to feel human is
>masochistic. But someday I'll stop and be pain free, I have to believe that.
>Love to all, Sally

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: