gas and lying flat

Thu May 9 20:19:48 2002

A while back there was a posting made, I can't find it off hand, that dealt with gas after a laprascopic surgery. I believe the person was told that they should lie down after the surgery. I had some thoughts about it, but let it go over my head. When a person has surgery, no matter what type, they are made to get up and out of bed that same day. The doctors don't want the patients to stay in bed because they are at high risk for pneumonia, blood clots as well as respiratory problems. I was admitted to the hospital the day after Easter. My ct showed my lungs to be clear but my heart was mildly enlarged. When they took a second ct a few days later I had pleural effusion and pneumonia. I didn't understand why that would show up after being clear a few days earlier. It was explained to me that this was a result of my not being up and moving...I wasn't. I am always in isolation so I tend to stay in bed. Staying lying in bed after surgery could cause a life or death situation. We are very suspect to any of these problems. I, myself, have had a number of blood clots, pneumonia quite frequently and of course respiratory. It is very dangerous to advise anyone to stay lying down. Even after an adhesiolysis a person should be up and moving as much as possible in an attempt at preventing new adhesions from attaching themselves in new positions. So, to anyone who is worried about gas after surgery....the discomfort that you may go through is much less than the problems that may occur if you stay in bed. Up and at em! lol

Love to all!

Karla

Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: