Pain management that works for me...

Sat May 25 18:39:11 2002

When a person suffers from the chronic pain, what can he/she do? The doctors at the Mayo Clinic advise their pain patients to seek PAIN MANAGEMENT - at a pain management center that treats the whole person. My pain management program has included not only medications but also counseling - for the depression that inevitably goes along with unresolved chronic pain. Ever since January 1997, I have had regular appointments with a psychiatrist, who specializes in pain management. Prior to my first appointment with my psychiatrist, I had been taking 225 mgs of Amitriptyline every night for some time. At my very first appointment she wrote a prescription for my regular doctor to draw blood to check my current blood level of Amitriptyline. There IS a blood test to check the blood level of not only this drug - but also many other drugs.

When the results of my blood level of Amitriptyline came back, my blood level reading was 525 mgs - A VERY TOXIC LEVEL!! If I had not had my blood level checked, too high a blood level of this medication could've been toxic to my liver!!! Over several weeks time, my psychiatrist gradually brought my blood level down to an acceptable level; and since then, I take only 100 mgs at bedtime. The Amitriptyline - taken at bedtime - not only helps me get restful sleep; but it also has the unexpected benefit of helping to reduce my level of pain. In addition to Amitriptyline, my psychiatrist prescribed Carbemazepine; and I have been taking this medication since March of 1997.

OTHER WAYS THAT HAVE HELPED ME TO MANAGE PAIN:

1.) I have had regular appointments with a psychologist for talk therapy; which provided me with a safe place where I could share any concerns that I might have - instead of "stuffing them" and never talking about them. Since I found out in 1984 that I'm an ACOA, these hour long appointment with my psychologist (since 1997) helped me to be able to talk openly about most anything.

2.) Most importantly, I have allowed myself to become involved in life again - instead of isolating myself and suffering in silence.

3.) In the process of doing research on the Internet, I happened to find information about a psychological technique, known as "distraction". I then realized that I have actually been using this technique for most of my life; because I had learned for the very first time in 1984 (at age 53) that I am an Adult Child of the Alcoholic (ACOA)!! During my early childhood years my father became an alcoholic; and, unbeknownst to me at that time, I (as well as other ACOA's) learned: "to not talk about problems, to not trust other people, and to not show feelings" - in order to survive the dysfunctionality of an alcoholic home environment. As an ACOA: "Don't talk, don't trust and don't feel" became techniques that helped to "take me away" (or distract) from what was really going on in my life.

I continue to use distraction as a way to help me survive the chronic pain I've had to endure for more than 32 years!! How does distraction help me today? By accepting the responsibility to educate myself about adhesion related disorder (ARD), I continue to so research on the Internet.

You are probably wondering, "How can distraction help to relieve pain?" Chronic pain travels from its source via the neural pathways, up the spinal column and to the brain - where the message of pain is recognized and actually felt!! I have found that when I'm busy feeding new information into my brain, this helps to prevent the full impact of pain-messages from reaching my brain; and as a result, this helps to lessen my sensation of pain. There are times when I hardly notice pain at all. Because it works for me, I am a firm believer in the use of this technique!

I'm also a firm believer in the mind-body concept!! In order to be able to accept the mind-body concept, I made a point to learn as much as I could about it. As a result now I am able to understand and accept that the body and mind are ONE - what we perceive in our mind, will affect how our body responds.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: