Re: Advice Re: Ovarian Cysts & Adhesions

Wed May 29 23:48:39 2002

Hi to A. Trent, I'm sorry but I couldn't read most of your email because it was too small. Maybe there is some way to make it larger, but it didn't seem to work. Good luck, Sally

> ----- Original Message -----
From: A. Trent To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 9:32 PM Subject: Advice Re: Ovarian Cysts & Adhesions

Dear Robyn; I, too have "massive, extensive adhesions", and have been in unbearable pain for 20 years now. I know how difficult it is to try and get help (or even to be taken seriously) when you're in severe pain. It's scary.

I don't have insurance, either. But, you can go to the nearest County Hospital. You can call your local "Crisis Hotline", in the front of your phone book to ask where to go. If possible, have someone go with you. People who bring someone with them to Hospitals and Drs. offices get more attention, and you may not be able to remember everything the staff tells you. Hospitals usually have an on call nurse that you can talk to, and they'll tell you if you should go to the Emergency room.

If you're in a lot of pain, you should go to the Emergency room and make it very clear that you cannot cope with the pain. They talk to you about your income, savings account & other financial issues, but they'll treat you, Honey. I am treated at no charge at all, including all tests and Rx. You'll probably find some very kind, caring people, who will find a way to help you. They may examine you and then give you a Morphine injection or some other pain reliever. I'm NOT a Dr., and am not giving medical advice, just telling you what happens to me when I end up in the emergency room. You may need an Ultrasound (aka Sonogram) test, to see if you have any abnormalities in your pelvic/abdominal area. You'll probably be given a prescription for pain relieving Rx, and a Dr.s (GYN) appointment.

It's important to bring a COPY of your surgical reports with you to the Dr. appointment, and to give them as much info as possible. With the proper Rx and treatment, you may be able to return to your regular life. You may need treatment for depression, as being in pain causes depression, esp. if you've been in pain for awhile, or it began with trauma. There are medications for depression that can help you sleep, and raise your pain tolerance level. There are also medications that can stop your periods, letting your inflammed pelvic area "rest", and the tissue shrink. I've had some relief with Neurontin, too. You can get all of your Rx for free, or at a much lower cost, if you qualify financially. You have to write to, or call the Rx manufacturer and ask for a "Patient Assistance Form". You and your Dr. fill it out, and the Dr. faxes or mails it in. You get 3 months worth of Rx a! t a time. You probably also qualify for disability, and maybe welfare, medical or medicare, maybe food stamps. Take ANY help you can get. Being sick can be extremely expensive. You can ask for information of how to get disability payments, medical, medicare, etc., from the Crisis Hotline people. You can even get free therapy if you need it, and if you qualify.

It's very important to get help right away. The earlier you get treatment, the less chance you have of developing permanent problems. Don't let anyone bully you. YOU know what's best for your body. If surgery is suggested, get a 2nd and 3rd opinion, and tell the Drs. that you have adhesions. I found out I was allergic to latex (the gloves, tubes, bandaids and many other things are made out of latex). Latex has been shown to cause adhesions. So does the powder in medical gloves. Your Dr. needs to know about adhesions. You may refer her to this site, so she can get more information.

I know it's really frightening, Robyn. Just try and take it one step at a time, and know that we're here for you -- you're not alone. Stay in touch with us so you get the support and information you need. Benefit from our years of experience.

The pain in your breasts may be hormonal, or due to fibrocystic breast disease. Be sure to tell your Dr. about it, though, so you can rule out anything serious, and get the treatment you need. Sometimes I use ice packs on my breasts when they're v. painful (usually before my period). Laying down is the only position I'm able to get comfortable in, like Maureen. I use my boyfriend's inversion table, and hang upside-down whenever I can. That feels good, too. It takes the pressure off of my pelvic organs. Have any of you (out there) had any experience with inversion tables? I'd like to hear about them.

I'll keep you, and all the others suffering, in my prayers. God Bless you, and remember, you are not alone. We care.

A. Trent

>for tAt Sat, 18 May 2002, RobynD423 wrote:
> >
> >Good Morning Ladies,
> >I need some guidance...I suffer from adhesions, I had my last surgery
> >one year ago - in which he removed my left ovary (laporotomy), due to
> >several cysts and he also removed a ton of adhesions. Over 2 years ago
> >I had my uterus and other cysts removed. I currently have my right
> >ovary, which is currently killing me - I have adhesion pain daily but it
> >tends to flare up more when I'm having ovary problems. I also suffer
> >from a neurological condition "peripheral neuropathy" which I'm
> >prescirbed vicodine for pain and since I haven't been able to get my
> >previous gyno (who I quit seeing last year) to help me after he cut me
> >open, I take the vicodine which my neuro prescribes for both my neuro
> >and gyno problems. Here's my problem - my ovary and adhesions are peaking right now and I'm out of pain meds so I'm really suffering...I currently don't have insurance due to my husband losing his job a few months back...I would go to the ER but I don't have insurance. Any suggestions... My other major concern is that the past week both of my breast have been in so much pain - HAS ANYONE ELSE experienced this??? It reminds me of when I was breast feeding. It's so strange because they really hurt and it's in the same area! on both breast. I'm freaking out because it seems like I read once a correlation between ovarian cysts and breast pain and cancer (does anyone know anything about this)? I know I have a lot of questions and I may have not made much sense - my 5 year old son has been running in and out. Thanks for everyone's help. Have a great and blessed day.
> >Robyn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click =

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Here
version see http://www.adhesions.org/forums/

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: