I have a suggestion for you...

Sun Jun 2 16:07:55 2002

Posted by Mary Wade (acbcsrt@kansas.net) on January 2, 2001 06:09 AM:

Your frustration is so apparent in your posts. I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you go back through your posts to the board and find 4 - 5 that really express how you are feeling. Then take them with you (or better yet, mail them ahead) the next time you have a doctor visit. This is a way to "amplify" your complaints and to let them be seen from a different angle.

In my experience, I've had good responses from doctors when I not only told Drs. about my pain and how it is crippling my daily life; but also when I provided the Dr. with a chart, where I had recorded my pain and how it was affecting my life. As a result, I have had good responses from doctors

I felt the pain chart served a couple practical purposes for me. First, it gave me a way to control the content of what I said and how I said it. I did not always feel that I could keep this kind of control over the words that I would speak, when I was in the "hot seat" in the doc's exam room.

Next, it moved me onto a bit of a different playing field with the docs; because I was providing a lasting document that will live in my chart. Those of us, who have worked in medical offices, know that it's all about "document, document, document." We also know that when cases get to the courts, that most often...if "it's not written in a medical chart, it didn't happen."

So you see, we have a way of writing in our own medical charts by doing this. When doctors know that we also know how to and practice "document, document, document," we are sending the message that we are holding them accountable for the information that we bring.

And do you need to wham them over the head with what you are doing by keeping your own set of documents? Nope! You just smile very sweetly and say, "I just wanted to make sure that we are on the same page with our record keeping. I want you to have this so that I can be sure that I've taken care of my responsibilities in communicating with you."

We have complicated problems. We need to faithfully keep our own set of medical records. Request copies of your records. It's your right and your responsibility.

I am sorry that you are having such a struggle. The struggle is so much worse when we feel that the doctors aren't willing to or don't know how to help us.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: