Doctor Referrals from IAS

From: Dr. David Wiseman (david.wiseman@medispecialty.com)
Tue Jun 25 07:51:36 2002

One of the most common questions we are asked is "can you recommend a doctor in my area that knows something about adhesions?"

We have compiled a list of docotrs who we know have expressed an interest in the problem of adhesions. I must emphasise a number of points: 1. A doctor who helped one patient may not be able to help another. 2. A treatment that worked for one patient may not work for another. 3. Patients should interview carefully all doctors to determine if they are "right" for them. (On one of our lecture tapes we discuss the sorts of questions you should ask). 4. There is a understandable tendency, especially in ARD patients who have been bounced around from one docotr to another to believe that the "next" doctor will be the "one" who will put an end to suffering. Becuase of the enormous suffering on the part of the ARD patient there are such huge expectations about the "next" doctor that it is hard for them to meet these expecations. 5. Surgery may not be the right thing for you. Even in the hands of the most skilled and compassionate surgeons, adhesions may reform. If it is possible to try some of the alternatives, then do so.

5. There are many things that we are beginning to understand about ARD, and only through careful documentation and a calm approach to this devastating problem can we begin to learn anoput treatments that work and those that do not.

With this in mind, please understand that the majority of docotrs really do want to help, but sadly, because ARD has been a neglected disease, they lack the tools and understanding to make the imnpact they want to. Those who know a little more may have used methods that work in some patients but not in others, but they may not get it right each time.

What it adds up to is that the members of this board are a giant laboratory, where we are learning more about ARD than anyone has ever done. I wish we had all the answers, but we do not, and so this is how we must proceed.

I would ask therefore that members of this board refrain from what may be personal attacks on any physician, especially if they are to be named. Please do continue to report on methods and treatments that work (and don't work) for you. If you have a particular problem with a doctor then please email me directly, but do not post a name on the board.

With my best wishes to all of you.

--
David Wiseman
Founder IAS

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: