Helen

Sun Aug 18 16:03:00 2002

Dear Helen, I am going tomorrow to pick up a copy of the colonscopy report. The Gastro Dr that did the Colonscopy told me that there is a hole where the appendix is at. If you look at a picture of the intestines you can see that the appendix has a small hole in it where it connects to the intestines. The Dr. said he has been practicing medicine for 22 years and that I had the largest hole he had ever seen. He even stuck the scope inside to look. He was very excited about all this. He immediately called my Gyn and informed him. MY Gyn is referring me to a General Surgeon to fix the hole. On the diagnosis for the General Surgeon, I have a copy, it says I have a defect/hole in the appendix. Anyway I see the Surgeon on Tuesday and hopefully will have alot of questions answered. I was going to have the Gyn take down the adhesions on my left side at the same time the General Surgeon fixes the hole. But I have decided I am going to try for a small incision to fix the intestines, and leave the adhesions on the left side alone. Because I know from past experience the adhesions are only going to come back.....My Gyn is on vacation for the next 2 weeks and I hope I have the surgery done before he gets back, so I can tell him sorry I just couldn't wait for you!!! I know this all sounds crazy, you can only just imagine how I feel, and how I felt when the gastro told me what he found. He also said I have IBS !!! Of course.... Anyway thanks Helen for your reply and I will keep you in informed as to what happens, Your friend, Tami

At Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Dear Tami,
>Something does not sound right here!! If you "have a rather large hole in my intestines where my appendix used to be" -- you would not be walking around!! A hole in the intestines is an emergency situation!!
>
>You are correct in your thoughts: "I keep thinking about where the food is going, and about bacteria in the intestines." You have good reason to be concerned!!
>
>In 1989 my husband had surgery for colon cancer and lost most of his colon. Nine days after the surgery, he developed a leak where the surgeon had reconnected his bowel. At 9:00 PM that night the surgeon called to tell me he needed to perform emergency surgery; but before he could do that, I had to go to the hospital and sign a form giving him permission to perform surgery.
>
>If the surgeon had not performed the emergency surgery, my husband would've developed life-threatening peritonitis!! Peritonitis results if fecal contents get into the abdominal-pelvic cavity as the result of a nick, perforation or hole in the intestines.
>
>Like I said, "Something does not sound right here!! I suggest that you request a copy of your colonoscopy report; so that you will know exactly what that report said.
>
>Knowing what I know about peritonitis...if I had been told I had a rather large hole in my intestines, I would be a "basket case" by now.
>
>I don't believe that you have "a rather large hole in your intestines!!!" Now it's up to you to read that colonoscopy report for yourself - to spare yourself any anxiety this has caused you.
>
>~ ~ ~ ~
>
>Tami :-) From: Browkenwing (browkenwing@msn.com); Sat Aug 17 13:00:30 2002
>
>Dearest Tami, Dr.s just amaze me sometimes! If that Dr.s family member was running around with a hole in their intestines would he or she still make them wait until he got back from vacation? I DONT THINK SOOOO!!! I sure hope you get taken care of soon I am not a DR. BUT that does not sound very good to be walking around like that!!! It is not like you are just a garden hose that sprung a leak you are a human being for God Sake! Please keep us posted on how you are! I am sending up prayers for you right now! Big Pain Free Hugs!
>
>~ ~ ~ ~
>
>Re: I am sooo maaaaaad ; From: Tami (tamitorres@hotmail.com); Sat Aug 17 01:47:47 2002
>
>T > Dear Chantale, Please know that you are not alone in your bitter attitude towards the healthcare system. It really sucks. I have been in constant pain since December with a very lengthy history of adhesions. 11 surgeries in 18 years.
>
>T > I found out last month thru a colonoscopy that I have a rather large hole in my intestines where my appendix used to be. The largest one in 22 years of medical practice by my Gastro Dr. I finally get to see my surgeon on Tuesday. My Gyn doctor is on vacation for 3 more weeks and I have to wait until he gets back because he is going to take down the adhesions on the left side. So I get 2 surgeons, with neither one in a hurry to fix me. I been going around with this hole in my intestines for no telling how long and I am in horrible pain. I keep thinking about where the food is going, and about bacteria in the intestines, but I just have to be patient and wait....Its crazy. Anyway girl, I can sympathize with you about the waiting, take care Your friend, Tami

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: