Re: Ultram Addiction

Mon Sep 9 18:01:19 2002

Ultracet is simply Ultram (tramadol) plus Tylenol. Research has shown that the combination of the two taken simultaneously works better than tramadol alone. My pain doctor told me he has known about this for years but the drug company got wind of it and started marketing Ultracet last November. To get the same effect, you can take Ultram and one regular strength Tylenol. I've found it a good drug for mild to moderate pain, but it did nothing for me when my adhesion pain was severe. I'd hate to see it taken off the market because some people experienced side effects!! Oxycontin is addictive, however, it's a godsend for people in chronic pain.

Here's a quote from Dr. Richard Wallace, director of the pain management center at UC San Diego, that appeared in the Sunday, August 18, 2002, San Diego Union-Tribune:

The notion that chronic pain sufferers can become addicted to these opioid medications is simply a myth, insisted UCSD's Wallace.

"There's less than a 0.1 percent risk of addiction if the medication is being taken for the treatment of pain," he said, basing his conclusion on the studies he's seen.

Dr. Wallace is my mother's doctor and she sent me the article. It's unclear to me whether Ultracet is addictive. I'd like to hear some doctors' opinions.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: