How does a Potential Virus actually use someone else's email address?

Thu Sep 19 11:35:09 2002

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:15 PM; Subject: How does a Potential Virus actually use someone else's email address?

I received an email stating that two of my messages had been quarantined in the Runestone Internet Message Center. I recognized the email addresses of Tina and Janet; but I no longer have their email addresses filed on my computer.

The " Subject " for Tina's email was: "NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER." With a subject-title like that, I knew this email did not come from Tina.

Since I didn't trust my understanding as to how a potential virus operates, I asked our Internet Technical Support to send me a brief explanation as to how a suspected virus takes and uses the email address of someone else. His explanation is below:

~ ~ ~ ~

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 8:16 AM: Subject: RE: How does a Potential Virus actually use someone else's email address?

Hi Helen, I'm not exactly sure how these viruses work; but you are correct. They do take email addresses from "your address book" (not my address book) and send out emails containing viruses to these people.

The virus can also send messages to addresses listed in emails on your computer. For example: if you get a joke forwarded to you - where the person has left a list of previously sent-to addresses at the top of the email, the virus can send to these addresses also.

With some of the new viruses I have also seen that the "from address" is faked; so even though it says it is coming from someone, that could be faked and not really be them who is sending it.

Runestone Internet Technical Support

1.) <tshelby@usit.net>. I know who Tina Shelby is; but I don't have her email address in the address book on my computer.

2.) jkaram4@home.com - I know Janet Karam; but I don't have her email address in my address book either.

> ----- Original Message -----
From: "Runestone Internet Support" <posthelp@runestone.net> To: <olddad66@runestone.net> Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 8:08 AM Subject: Runestone Internet Detected Potential Virus

Dear olddad66@runestone.net,

Runestone Internet's virus protection service has detected a potential email virus. This suspicious message has been quarantined in your Runestone Internet Message Center:

From: tshelby <tshelby@usit.net> Subject: NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER Virus: Exploit-MIME.gen.b

You can read the message without infecting your computer. Click on the link to access your Runestone Internet Message Center:

olddad66@runestone.net">http://login.postini.com/exec/login?email=olddad66@runestone.net

Thank You! Runestone Internet

Tina Shelby tshe

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: