To Sarah from Jo

Thu Sep 26 21:50:22 2002

Dear Sarah,

Yes, the official Invisible disabilities awareness week is drawing to a close, but we must not stop now... Anthea Nesbitt and I started this campaign almost a month ago and yes we have managed to get a few letters published. However, it's not enough, it was simply a place to start a chance to show everyone that we have the power to take action ourselves. It's up to each of us to make a difference, and the Letter to the Editor campaign was to demonstrate how easy it is for anyone to be a part of the awareness campaign.

I wrote to the Editor of my local paper again just yesterday, because I had been promised an article this week, and it didn't happen. Instead, my father who is in a wheel chair was on the front page!! I said in my letter that it demonstrated the kind of discrimination the "Invisible disabled" face in their daily lives. The result of that letter Sarah? I received a phone call this morning at the start of business hours from the papers editor.... as it happens, she sufferers from Endometriosis and she wanted to know the name of the reporter who had promised me an article.

I will now get to do an interview next week and I will end up with a larger article... the official week is drawing to a close.... but we haven't stopped suffering. So while we are, we need to continue to write to newspapers, magazines call talk back radio; write to television programs... the list of possibilities is endless.

If you write your letter your heart, you too can get a letter published. IF you would like some help putting together a letter, you can write to me joanne@bombobeach.com and give me some of your details.... when your problem with adhesions started etc.... what some of the frustrations you have experienced so far etc..... then I will help you put that together as your letter.

If you would like to try to do it yourself, visit http://www.bombobeach.com and on the homepage at the top of the page there is a link to the September issue of The Australian Adhesions Support Group newsletter, Anthea has written an article to help you write your letter to the editor.

Anyone who manages to get their letter published, or finds any articles referring to adhesions in the print media, please send me original copies of the article with details including the name of the paper or magazine, the editors name and the date and issue that the article appeared in. All of these articles will be added to the "Press Gallery" on The Australian Adhesions Support Group site, so that everyone can access them.

Please, help us help you...

Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer