Re: RxList: The internet drug index...For example: Carbamazepine -- the generic of Tegretol

Thu Oct 3 22:23:07 2002

At Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Dear Laura, Thanks for the added information!! I do remember now that I
>had to have blood drawn periodically; because too much tegretol can be
>toxic to the liver.
>
>Helen
>
>At Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Laura wrote:
>>
>>At Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Helen Dynda wrote:
>>>
>>>Ever since my surgery in January 2002, I have not had to take any prescription drugs for pain; but last night I was experiencing so much lower abdominal pain that I found it very difficult to fall asleep.
>>>
>>>Previous to my January 2002 surgery, I had been seeing a psychiatrist - who specializes in the managment of pain; and she had prescribed Tegretol for me some time ago. I still had quite a few Tegretol tablets left. So I decided to take a Tegretol (200mg) tablet to see if it would help relieve my pain. IT DID!! The name of the medication is: Tegretol (Brand Name) or Carbamazepine (Generic Name).
>>>
>>>To learn more about Tegretol (OR ANY DRUG YOU ARE TAKING) 1.) Enter: http://www.rxlist.com/ 2.) Enter: Tegretol (in search box) and click: GoList 3.) Scroll down to Tegretol 4.) Click: Search for Tegretol FAQ (in English or Spanish).
>>>
>>>You will learn that: " Carbamazepine is a drug that affects the nerves and brain. It works by decreasing impulses in nerves that cause seizures and pain. Carbamazepine is used to treat seizures and nerve pain such as trigeminal neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy."
>>>
>>>Patient FAQs will help to answer the following questions (for all drugs listed at the rxlist website). If you don't know too much about the drugs your doctor has prescribed for you, RxList is a place where you can learn more about your drugs:
>>>
>>>1.) What is the most important information I should know about carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>2.) What is carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>3.) What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>4.) How should I take carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>5.) What happens if I miss a dose?
>>>
>>>6.) What should I avoid while taking carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>7.) What are the possible side effects of carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>8.) What other drugs will affect carbamazepine?
>>>
>>>9.) Where can I get more information?
>>Hi,just a quick note here reguarding Tegretol. I am an epileptic,and
>>took Tegretol for a while to control my seizure's. I must mention
>>here,if you have a seizure disorder,and decide to take Tegretol,it must
>>be monitored very closely,with monthly blood draw's. The inncorrect
>>amount in your blood system can actually trigger a seizure in some
>>cases. This is what I was told by my Nerologist. Also Tegretol can
>>cause birth defect's. There are some risk's involved in taking this
>>medication. I opted to quit taking Tegretol,and I will deal with the
>>random seizure. There are some risk's involved in taking this
>>medication,and I just wanted to add my two cent's. Laura

No problem Helen. I strongly feel medication's like this should be administered by Nerologist's,someone who is completely familiar with all the side affect's and potential risk's. I think so many Doctor's try to avoid perscribing narcotic's,that they will try anything else first,which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing,but they need to make there patient's aware of the risk's. I was perrscribed Ultram by my GI doctor,and I found out on the Net,that Ultram is not recommended for anyone with a seizure disorder. I didn't have a seizure,but it just goes to show,Docotr's aren't alway's aware of the possible side effect's of the medication's they perscribe,so make sure you are going to the right kind of doctor.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: