Re: Difficulty urinating

Sat Oct 5 21:03:44 2002

Hello Christine,

I have bladder damage from adhesions and a car accident. Prior to the car accident I had been experiencing bladder problems like you described in your post. This was following a hysterectomy in Feb 2000, anyway I continued to have problems and eventually was sent to a urologist.

I had a bladder stretch (research this... I wouldn't do it again) and then after continuing problems up to March/April this year I underwent a series of test and procedures to measure my bladder function. The results showed that my bladder had lost the ability to contract and squeeze out the urine, which led to repeated infections (when the bladder doesn't empty completely the remaining urine causes infection). I was taught how to "self catheterise" using a small "in out catheter".

After surgery to adhesions lysis in April I found that bladder function was restored and catheterisation wasn't necessary. Then I had a car accident two weeks after surgery and to my great disappointment, my problems returned.

Christine, I suggest you research all you can about the bladder and bladder functions and the drugs and surgical procedures commonly used to treat this condition. I agreed to the bladder stretch without any personal knowledge, relying on my doctor to explain all the advantages, disadvantages and dangers. I believe he didn't give me enough information and I would certainly have not agreed to a bladder stretch.

Please keep us posted, sometimes the bladder does spasm occasionally after a surgical procedure and function may restore itself given a little time. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, particularly water to keep the kidneys flushed and don't lean forward or press your tummy to empty, this can damage the muscles used to empty it causing permanent damage which leads to surgery....

Good luck Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.