Karen, and everybody, about posting

Sat Nov 2 20:34:14 2002

Karen, you said "oops" because you didn't intend for your posting to go out to everybody on the board. Actually your posting is exactly the type that is incredibly valuable and you probably will never know who you helped. Someday someone who has been going through life mis-diagnosed and abused just like your daughter will have someone say to her, "hey, I think you sound like you have endo," or she'll read a magazine article or book. And so she'll come to the internet and type "endometriosis" into a search engine, and your posting will show up. And she'll recognize herself in your description, and her whole life will turn around into a better direction.

I suffered PPD and PMS after my first child was born, and I got a book called "Listening to Your Hormones." The author of the book had significant problems with PMS. She also had problems with pain in an ovary and kept having surgery and then she developed adhesions, and she described adhesions in the book. Seven years after my c-section I realized that the symptoms that I was having sounded very much like the author's description of adhesions. I typed "adhesions" into google, and found Helen Dynda's story on the first page, and it led me to the discussion board and the quilt. Because of this I went to the doctor 6 months after the pain started, and she immediately said "adhesions" just from my description. And she also said that a surgeon goes in and snips them and it's no big deal. When I said, "but won't that make them worse?" she seemed surprised. But that was the clear message that I got from reading that book, and it made me leery. And then I found this place, and I got a confirmation that surgery is a very risky proposition. Karla welcomed me right away, and she is stark illustration of the dangers of surgery and the dangers of the "oh, let's give it a try" attitude that so many doctors have.

So my adhesion problems are really pretty minimal, and all because I found this web site when I plugged "adhesions" into google and had dozens of people to warn me against going down the path that they had gone down.

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: