Helpful hints/surgery / Frankfurt/Germany/Sally Grigg

Thu Dec 5 13:32:48 2002

Hi, dear friends, if I haven't gotten back to you by name, its not because I don't love you, its because I'm still plagued by pain and weakness. I just wanted to add a few things to think about when going to Germany. Remember they speak German and the idea that "everyone speaks English" is wrong, so take an English/German dictionary. Also take someone to care for you. I had both my husband and mother and needed them both, my surgery was almost six hours and Dr. Kruchinski does not give comforting morphine drips like I'm used to here. But I need to get away from all those pills anyway, so as a concept its good. It's just hard. They make everything as easy for you as possible, with his nurse available to help you and lodging provided right across the street from a great little market. My husband LOVED the food there, especially at the hospital where they fed my whole family. Unfortunately (not at the hospital) but in the entire rest of the country, everybody smokes cigarettes. I'm not used to this in California, its illegal in public places here. So if you have allergies, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the wonderful river Mein next to the lodging where there is a bike path and fresh air, and ducks and swans. I changed money before I left the U>S>A> but you can also change it there, though if you do it in advance its one less thing to worry about. You need to put a coin deposit down for grocery market carts, but its refundable, which we never figured out til the last day, so I'm sure the kids loved us. Enough "ramblings" for now. I wish you all luck in your pursuit of a life with no pain. Love, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: