G'day from the 'Aussie Shiela' - Jo

Thu Dec 12 21:34:07 2002

Hello to all my wonderful friends and family here on the IAS board!

Today is Friday and this is my 5th night in hospital. After speaking to Jason earlier today the good news is that "things" seem to be finally shifting and we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I had been on a very heavy regime of FLEET drinks (bowel preps [uckkk] normally used before surgery and procedures etc) the routine was laxatives and other various medications, then it was a Fleet drink in the morning, followed by an enema [ughhh] about an hour later. Then another Fleet drink in the afternoon and suppositories later in the day.

This was pretty hard to do and I guess I hit the wall at about 6 am this morning. I was very tired and very emotional by the time the doctors did their rounds for the day. Thierry Vancaillie is just the sweetest doctor I have ever had the pleasure to meet, and he held my hand, stroking it he told me gently to hang in there, we would get on top of it. I was pretty close to crying, just because of this doctors caring and compassion for my welfare.

So, now I don't have to drink any more Fleet [doing cartwheels across the hospital room in my head, cause the "bod" wouldn't cope]hehehe and now it is simply a matter of laxatives, walking and LOADS of liquids, water, coffee, juices and if we can get a regular "thing" happening then I should be heading back to my family by Thursday or Friday next week.

I know that it seems like a long stay in hospital, BUT because I live so far away (four hours by car depending on traffic, we live in rural NSW) Jason & I agree that it is important that we are convinced that a regular bowel routine has been established and that it is maintainable! I will certainly be home for Christmas, and may even get to go home a day or two earlier next week.... we will just have to wait and see!

I just want to extend my sincere and warm thanks and gratitude to everyone who has sent messages of support, love and concern for me. We are hoping that once we can get my bowel working to some extent, we will see the back broken of this terrible pain cycle that I have been on for so long.;)

Then I will be able to really give a good assessment of my future prospects of living with minimal pain and maximum input in everyday life. I can't tell you HOW much I am looking forward to that!

I look forward to chatting with as many of you as possible next Wednesday evening (USA & Canada)/Thursday for Australia/New Zealand... it would be nice to celebrate the end of my hospital stay with a good chat with all my special friends......

Love & warm gentle hugs, Jo

--
Joanne Eslick
Founder Australian Adhesions Support Group
http://www.bombobeach.com
NSW Australian Co-ordinator of
International Adhesions Society
http://www.adhesions.org

--
I am not a medical person, and all my messages are based
on personal experience.  I am a fellow adhesions sufferer
reaching out to help others.