Fwd: Response from Senator Thomas I thought all of ya would like to see this

Mon Dec 16 10:02:55 2002

craig@thomas.senate.gov wrote:From: To:

Subject: Response from Senator Thomas Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:36:48 -0500

December 16, 2002

Mrs. Linda Garcia 82 River Ranch Road Laramie, Wyoming 82070

Good morning Linda . . .

and thanks for sharing your thoughts about the need for increased endometriosis research. It is good to hear from you, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

You will be interested to know that the Senate Appropriations Committee recently approved the Fiscal Year (FY) 2003 appropriations bill which allocated $27.2 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) -- the primary research arm of the federal government. This increase of $3.7 billion over FY 2002 appropriations marks the completion of the Congressional promise to double funding for the NIH in five years. As for endometriosis research specifically, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), the division of NIH in charge of endometriosis research, received an appropriation of almost $1.2 billion. This funding increase will go a long way in helping scientists find a cure for this disease. While the full Senate has yet to debate the FY 2003 Labor-HHS Appropriations bill, know that I will remember your comments as funding for the NIH is evaluated.

Far too many families face the difficulties associated with this dreaded illness. Throughout my time in Congress I have consistently advocated increasing research funding and will continue to do so.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate knowing your views, Linda.

Best Regards,

Craig Thomas United States Senator

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: