Robin, oxycontin withdrawel

Tue Dec 17 19:59:56 2002

I have read many different sources and many different experts about the effects of the proper long-term use of narcotics for chronic severe pain. Every one of these experts has said exactly the same thing: if you wean off of the drug slowly enough then you won't experience withdrawel. And "slowly enough" depends on the size of the dosage you are on, but it is usually somewhere along the lines of a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

The experts from the other side are members of this group who have found themselves pain-free for some amount of time, and have confirmed that they had little trouble weaning off of quite high doses of oxycontin, as well as other opiates. As long as they did so sensibly.

If your doctors forced you to quit the oxycontin cold turkey, I sure hope they had an excellent reason. And no, the following are NOT good reasons: a) the doctor was lazy, b) the doctor doesn't believe withdrawel is real, c) the doctor doesn't believe that people deserve pain relief, and that withdrawel is the appropriate punishment because you got some quality of life back from the narcotics, d) since all doctors are perfect, and it is impossible for any procedure to have effects that the doctor didn't want, the ARD sufferer is an affront and an insult to doctors, and so ARD sufferers ought to be punished whenever possible because we make doctors feel bad by having symptoms which prove that they are not all-powerful and perfect.

One thing that is for sure... When a surgeon is operating on your belly, there is no thing that he/she can do that will prevent you from getting adhesions if you are going to get them. (At least nothing that can be done in countries where spray gel is not approved, anyway.) But the thing that EVERY doctor has completely within his/her power is the choice of whether or not to treat you like sh**. We can't hold doctors responsible for giving us adhesions (unless the surgery they were doing was unnecessary) but we can always hold them responsible for treating us competently and correctly.

At Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Robin Duffy wrote: >
>Please be careful with the use of Oxycontin. I just got home from the hospital after withdrawls from the stuff it wasn't fun and will still deal with some of the symptoms. I know the pain is great but, it you can find anyother med but the hards stuff. Biofeedback really does help as I am back on my schedule with that. God Bless and I hope your pain gets better

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: