Re: Dear Jean- for Dawn

Sun Dec 29 12:10:52 2002

Dear Dawn, I don't know if a similar procedure would help adhesion pain or not. >From what I have read from others who tried blocks I doubt it.
My adhesion pain isn't really the reason I am getting this procedure done.

I gave up on long ago on treatments for adhesions. I take Oxycontin for the hip/back problems and pains which also somewhat helps the abdominal pain and discomfort. I take Herb-lax, Prilosec and nausea pills for the stomach and also do deep "kneading" massages of my abdomen.

They are really doing this to see if the pain comes from the Facet Joints (joints between the back bones)in my spine. That pain can radiate to the head, shoulders, back, buttocks and legs depending on the joint involved. I have pain in my butt, back, hip & legs in addition to abdominal symptoms. I also have PVD and blocked veins of my legs in addition to the back, hip & abdominal problems so I am very confusing to them (and me-LOL). All the doctors have been conveniently playing "pass the buck" as to what causes my pains and disability.

The nerves from the spine are also the same nerves that run over the hip so it is confusing as to what problem (s) is causing what pains. The facets joints are called the Dorsomedian Branches of the primary sensory nerves at each spinal level, and these are the nerves to be blocked with the 1st procedure and then burned with the next 2 procedures. If the facets aren't the source of pain the block won't work and they might not proceed to the 2nd & 3rd procedures. If they aren't sure if it worked or not they might then still proceed.

It isn't "really" surgery but is treated the same as surgery since you are closely monitored they prep you with hospital gown and cap, and you can't eat or drink anything. It must be done in the hospital's Surgi-Center as an out-patient and with needles and X-ray guidance(no cutting involved). You could have serious complications if they acidentally hit a nerve which supplies the muscles to the legs or arms, that's why they must be guided with X-rays and a monitor during the entire procedure.

The blocks (Median Branch Block)are scheduled for Jan. 30th, and the burning (Radio Frequency Facet Rhizolysis) are Feb 6th & 20th. I have several areas to be done, that's why it must be broken into 2 radio frequency procedures, too much for one time they said.

I will let you know if it works for me and which pains go away, if any. I might not know right away because they said I might experience a "sunburn" feeling and/or muscle spasms for about 2-3 weeks after they are burned (hopefully not).

Thanks for your prayers, concern and interest! JEAN

P.S. Years ago I also did have butt & leg pain with adhesions.

t Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Dawn wrote: >
>Dearest Jean,
>Please let us know how your procedure comes out. We will all keep you
>in our thoughts and prayers. Has a date for surgery been set yet?
>This aspect has not occured to me but I think many could benefit
>if your sugurey is successful, and I pray it is.
>Love and best wishes,
>Dawn
>
>--
>I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer like you but I hope you consider me a new friend.
>

--
Jean (from PA)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: