Re: stabbing pain....anyone know if this is adhesions????

Thu Jan 2 16:06:07 2003

Hi Tonya, At first after my surgery I had vicodin. Then I went to a paindoc......he is just a one man show but he is great, he didn't try to sell me on pain blocks ,which for the most part do not help with adhesions. But I understand some clinics put everyone who comes in the door on the blocks, big money in it. They are great for other types of pain,back problems etc.......... I did go to another pain clinic to compare treatment options, they wanted to do blocks. They try to get to the source first,in my case , some bloodwork to rule out things like pancreatitis, .........most of the test they suggested I already had done like endoscopy to rule out ulcers....(some of my pain is upper ab). So my paindoc after reviewing my med records was like this is simple "you are a chronic adhesion maker). So I went from Vicodin to Percocet, gradually things got worse then oxycodone, slowly higher doses, closer together. I was trying very hard to stay off the patch, because I had an unpleasant experience four years ago on them from a hospitalization with bleeding ulcers. Anyway, things got really bad , the end of October I was hospitalized with pain out of control and have been on 50 mg Duragesic patch, with Oxy for breakthru pain. I feel better being on it with my paindoc, he is just better, obviously specialized, in dealing with these meds and getting me off after the surgery slowly and correctly. My GI doctor had me on the patch for ulcers and told me very little and I just yanked it off one day and had terrible withdrawal. But that is not how you do it and some people have no trouble...........I really wish I didn't need them and can't wait to get off. I can drive fine, but it took a couple weeks to adjust. I don't drive if I need breakthru meds. We experimented with other stuff, neurotin, elavil.....etc. I think neurotin is a great drug, many have been helped, but my stomach couldn't handle it, but other wise I could feel it helping, I really gave that one a goo long try, I wanted it to work. Elavil also helped, but I found it too constipating. But everyone has different experiences. I will say if it wasn't for my paindoc and meds , I would have no life at all, I would be in bed all day from exhausting pain. With the meds I am able to get by, I havent been able to work in a year, but I can do some things at home and some social things to stay in the game of life.....so thank goodness for docs and meds............and hopefully this upcoming surgery will get me just enough relief to keep moving.......... Hope this helps you a little and I hope you get understanding and a good doc. Your freind, April

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: