Re: Epidural Steroid Injection <> Has anyone had this procedure? Did it help?

Mon Jan 6 18:50:11 2003

I have had mine done for RSD and spinal pain. They will not under any circumstances do it to deaden the abdominal pain, because it might not allow me to know when I have a total blockage. I am sedated for mine, was a wake once and thought I would die. But, I am on my stomache with wedge and done with fluroscope/x-ray. It does hurt alot when it wakes up but then in a few days, weeks it gets better. unfortunately mine only lasted about 6 months the first time and the second for a year. So if it is for spinal pain, RSD pain I believe in it but, for abdominal pain NO NO NO "Jean (from PA)" <creative@enter.net> wrote:Helen D., I had 3 Epidural Steroid Injections in 2000, each about 2 weeks apart. They are given for spinal problems or suspected spinal problems. Mine were given for bulging disks and degenerative disk disease. Sometimes they can worsen your pain "temporarily" (hours, days or weeks)until you get better, if you are going to.

It wasn't a bad experience for me since that doctor gave me Versed before he started. You don't remember anything after having Versed. Last I remember is prepping me and sitting me on the edge of the litter hunched over with a nurse in front of me, next I was in recovery. The procedure didn't help me at all, not my spinal problems, hip or abdomen.

Since then I have a new and much better doctor and but he doesn't sedate you for any procedures. He wants your response and likes you alert (ugh). He told me the last doctor didn't do it the "good" way if I was sitting up for the procedure! You "should" have them done with fluroscopic Imaging/ X-ray Guidance, which he said couldn't have been done sitting up. You must be laying down for it. This method assures getting the right spot.

You must have all spinal injections done as an out-patient at the Hospital/Surgie Center, including Epidurals. They are performed in a small, sterile, surgery-type room. All my Fluroscopic X-ray guided injections were done laying flat on my stomach with wedge under pelvis to lift spine, which also makes you more comfortable.

You are prepped with a gown, cap & booties and area is cleaned with betadine. Blood Pressure and pulse is monitored. They give you a smaller injection first, a prick (in same area of spine)to administer a local so the spinal needles and procedure don't hurt as much. The Spinal Injections were done with fluroscopic Imaging/ X-ray. You are monitored in a small recovery room for a short time afterward to make sure you are ok and if there are any immediate changes. Alot of times they also include a numbing agent along with the cortisone whcih would atke affect immediately.

I have also had several other spinal injection procedures, all going into a different areas of the spine. They were all (& will be) done with fluroscopic Imaging/ X-ray. I also had Facet Blocks with cortisone and a Discogram. I think the Facet Blocks worked for about 2-3 weeks(not pain-free though). I am scheduled for Median Branch Blocks and 2 separate Radio Frequency Procedures on several sections of the spine (burning nerves).

I also had "lots" of hip, hands, elbow, cortisone injections which are done in a doctor's office. I also had one much deeper cortisone injection in my hip which required X-ray guidance.

Hope this is what you wanted & needed. I will be happy to answer any further questions. JEAN

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: