Re: One More Log for the Fire

Fri Jan 10 08:08:07 2003

Jean, So well said. I don't know about you, but I have always been able to sort out the people who are actually sick and those who are looking for a free ride. Not one person on this board comes to mind as being someone that falls into the latter category. I am sure that each and every one of us would be so much happier if we could work. It would make our lives so much easier. I don't know if you remember when my grandson passed away almost four years ago, but he died of SIDS. At the time of his death an autopsy was done which clearly stated that there was absolutely no signs of abuse. The case was closed and we tried to continue on with our lives. About a month after his death we went to Florida to try and heal a little. While we were gone someone got wind of the fact that we were in Florida and called Social Services to report that he had been abused, that my daughter had taken out a life insurance policy the day before he died and that we were blowing the money in Florida. That call opened up an entirely new investigation. What this caller did not know about was this autopsy (my daughter never even spanks her kids) or the fact that it was me that had taken out the life insurance policy. It wasn't taken out the day before his death, but months before. They also did not know that her two girls had the same policies and that my daughter was not the beneficiary. I was. Had I not been in California at the time of his death I would have probably been the suspect. My daughter told the investigators and continues to tell people to this day that they can have the money.....give her the child back. That's all she asks. Give her him back. No amount of money replaces her loss. This same theory applies to us as well. Give us our lives back. Allow us to go to work. I don't ask to be pain free...I haven't been in so long that pain is all I know. Just take away the adhesions that are kinking my ureters off so that I can sit at a desk and perform my job. Dr. Moore made a referral to my comments about narcotics and made some sort of remark about being addicted to narcotics not helping adhesions or the pain they cause. Narcotics do help the pain that adhesions cause. Often it takes years of working through a variety of combinations of drugs to find the right potion for you, but it can and does help once you find it. Of course you are never painfree, but at least life can be tolerable. As for becoming addicted to narcotics, perhaps the doctor should spend some time researching addiction vs. dependence. I have been on my MS Contin for two years now...and not a minor dose...when I recently went through the three week period where I had to live without the drug I did not suffer any withdrawal symptoms. I had tons of pain, but no withdrawal. I must also say that I have not had my doses increased in 18 months. Doctor Moore still does not understand what this group is about and how we operate. Maybe if he realized that there are new people who come to this site each and every day, he would understand the need to repeat the assistance regarding filing for disability. I have to cut this off now. I have become septic overnight and am going thru rigors right now. Karla "Jean (from PA)" <creative@enter.net> wrote: You say we shouldn't take narcotics (which may be the only thing that reduces our pain "somewhat"), shouldn't have surgery, shouldn't collect disability, etc. Then WHAT SHOULD people like us do to fuction while enduring unbearable pain? WHAT should we pay bills with if our pain is sooo bad that it hinders all concentration and movement or walking, and we are unable to punch a time clock not knowing if and when the pain is controlled enough to perform 1 hour straight let alone 8 hour duties non-stop?

I have MANY medical problems in addition to adhesions (back, hip, arteries, veins, hands etc).

I did endure the pain from my adhesion problems for about 6 months before each surgery without any pain meds, as hard as it was, before all my 5 adhesion surgeries (18 total surgeries on my body)..... BUT I had surgery which did help me eventually, even if it was just for a few years each time or I would have been disabled at 25 years old already! I could go back to work and did after each surgery. The ONLY reason I got help with surgery when I did was because they got to the point of preventing organs from functioning so something had to be done.

I could not have endured the pain for years on end without surgery or help of any kind and had to leave my job for a few months each time!! Now what do you think that did to my employment status?

I also have not been able to move my bowels without mega herbal laxatives for most of my adult life due to adhesions and doctors not helping me (and I tried "everything" they told me, which only made me worse). Not moving your bowels for weeks at a time causes allot of pain!!

Now due to many additional medical problems, which all cause tremendous pain, I have finally had no choice but to give in to taking narcotics or I would be bed-fast without it! I am NOT a lazy person and never have been, quite the opposite since everyone complains about me being a perfectionist.

I opened my own home-based business (sitting on computer)because I can no longer go out to work, can't walk, can't twist and bend, etc..... and need to try to bring in some money, as hard as it is!! This is the only way I can work since I can close when pain is too bad, get up or lay down when I need to, etc. I can't do that working for someone else, but it sure isn't good for my business. I even worked "while I was in a Nursing Home" with skilled nursing care for 8 weeks!!! My husband brought me home for a few hours in the evening and I would sit at my computer crying in pain while struggling to do bills and book-keeping, in a wheelchair with an PIC Line IV hanging out of my arm!

I cannot get disability because I tried to be a good person and started running my own business in desperation instead of collecting years ago. Now I don't have the credits required because I have not shown a profit from my business in the 6-1/2 years I have it, and you don't pay into social security until you show a profit! My husband earns a living so we aren't poverty stricken for SSI either. We do need 2 incomes like most people so he is forced to work 2 jobs now to pull the slack for me! We are in our 50's.....how long can we do this?

This has destroyed our lives financially and emotionally. We have no idea what we will do for retirement in 12 years from now, and thats' God keeping my husband healthy enough to keep working. I think it is terrible what we are forced to endure, and without compassion, help or understanding! If someone FIXED me we wouldn't be in this mess and I could hold up my end of the finances!

Do you have any idea how that makes any of us feel?? I don't think most of us are lazy people or just looking for pity! We want to be productive like we once were, given the choice. JEAN

Karla

**Soaring with my angel**

http://www.geocities.com/karlasfamily2001 http://www.geocities.com/princessd82000/BraydensHaven

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: