A PATIENT'S GUIDE TO ADHESIONS and RELATED PAIN...CASE # 3

Sun Jan 12 11:07:04 2003

A PATIENT'S GUIDE TO ADHESIONS and RELATED PAIN or…YOU ARE NOT ALONE" - By David M. Wiseman, Ph.D.

I am... CASE #3: 28 YEARS and STILL GOING!

http://www.obgyn.net/english/pubs/features/wiseman/success.htm#Case3

Three emails in which a number of themes appear - loneliness, information, support. Here's a lady who has 'stuck' with her adhesions and is still fighting. She is an inspiration.

Date: 97-12-17 = December 17, 1997

In 1970 I had a laparotomy done and about 5 days afterwards developed pain again. which I was told was the result of adhesions. I have suffered with this pain for 27 years; and finally found a doctor who would listen to me.

I had a laparoscopy done by him on August 1, 1997 with an adhesiolysis being done. I had adhesions the full length (7 inches) of the laparotomy incision which was complicated by a layer of fat 4 inches across. The surgeon used the Kleppinger scissors to free the adhesions from the omentum. For 10 days I felt like a new person!! But then I started developing pain again and now he won't even see me.

I don't really know what the purpose is regarding e-mailing this address; but since I know deep in my heart that I am definitely suffering again from adhesions, I decided to follow your suggestion in your article Synechion.

I wish someone had told me that a product such as [the ones being developed] could have spared me all the pain I'm experiencing. Unfortunately the patient is at the mercy of the surgeon.

~ ~ ~ ~

Date: 98-01-13 = January 13, 1998

I've been suffering chronic pain for going on 28 years now. I have been to the [Famous Hospital] five times during that time period. always feeling as though I had not been heard. On August 1,1997 I underwent a laparoscopy at which time my gynecological surgeon found that I did indeed have adhesions. adhesions from a laparotomy I had in February of 1970. The adhesions were the full 7" length of the incision and 2" each side of the incision. for a total of 4".

[I was told that] there are a lot of doctors out there who do not believe that adhesions can cause a person a lot of pain. I have also read on the Internet about this; and after almost 28 years of constant pain and my inability to get the help I needed, I have to believe this.

In searching the Internet, I came across personal sagas about other people not getting help for their chronic pain caused by adhesions. As I read through their cries for help, I too realized that many were wishing that there would be a support group for them to vent their frustrations with the medical community, to be validated by others with the same problem, and to hopefully get information that would give them the help they need to be freed from chronic pain caused by adhesions.

The Internet has helped me to understand postsurgical abdominal adhesions and how difficult it is to get help for people who have this medical problem. There is a great need out there for a product such as Sepragel for those patients who undergo a laparoscopy. The Internet says that there are millions of people who develop adhesions after surgery. There is also a great need for a support group of some kind. Good luck in your efforts to get some kind of support group set up! Thank you very much for the information that you e-mailed me. It was unexpected. but it was very helpful!

~ ~ ~ ~

Date: 98-04-03 = March 4, 1998

[There is an] emotional side of my saga in trying to find a doctor who would believe that I was suffering. and NOT all the doctors who DID NOT believe me and attributed my complaints of pain to be "all in my head," or caused by fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, allergies, and the list goes on and on. A lot of relationships have also been ruined simply because I was unable to be there because of the extreme pain that I have been experiencing. Adhesions DO CAUSE PAIN!! It has been a 28 year ordeal for me and it is still not over. My faith in doctors has been shattered. Sincerely

~ ~ ~ ~

NOTE: Click: "A Patient's Guide" (left side of the IAS Message Board webpage) to read Dr. Wiseman's entire paper.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: