NovaSure...Is the NovaSure procedure entirely safe???.......for Tonya

Tue Jan 21 12:53:25 2003

Dear Tonya,

I have read that "D&C" (scraping of the womb) procedures - frequently done in the past - are NO longer suggested!! WHY? Because too many women, who had D&C's, had problems with the walls of their uterus becoming adhesed together!!

Has your Dr. told you that the walls of your uterus might become adhesed together following the NovaSure procedure? I have not read any information about NovaSure; but I suggest that you READ, READ, READ as much as possible about NovaSure!!

I have the best luck doing research at: http://www.google.com/ . Don't count on your Dr. being totally honest about the possiblity that the walls of your uterus may become adhesed together!!

Tonya, you said: "I am going in for a procedure called NovaSure to "cotterize" the inside of my uterus."

1.) "cotterize" = cauterize. Mosby's Medical Dictionary gives the following definition for cautery..."1. a device or agent that scars and burns the skin, as in the coagulation of tissue by heat or caustic substances. 2.) a destructive effect produced by a cauterizing agent."

2.) Based on the definition of cauterize: When the surgeon uses the NovaSure technique, he/she "burns" the uterine walls. "Burning" will produce "scarring"....and the scarring may cause the walls of the uterus to stick together!

The cauterizing will weaken the walls of the uterus!! That's why your Dr. wants to put in an IUD - to make sure you won't become pregnant!! If you were to become pregnant, the walls of your uterus will not nourish an unexpected fetus...and since the walls of the uterus have been weakened by NovaSure, your uterine walls could rupture.

DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS PROCEDURE UNLESS YOU CAN FIND EVIDENCE THAT NOVASURE IS ENTIRELY SAFE!!

Helen D.

~ ~ ~ ~

From: Tonya Fleming (rainchild_35@hotmail.com) ; Tue Jan 21 09:22:10 2003

Mary Lou, Are all IUDs bad now? I am going in for a procedure called NovaSure to cotterize the inside of my uterus and then my doctor wants to put in an IUD to make sure I don't get pregnant. (The chances of getting pregnant are very slim with the NovaSure procedure, but if you do for some reason, it can be very complicated and will always end in miscarriage or necessary abortion. The baby wouldn't live anyways and could cause major problems for the woman.) I am concerned about IUDs because my mom had one at age 45 and she had horrible cramps and pain from it. But that was over 20 years ago. Are they any better? Just wondering...

Tonya

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: