Re: Anyone have a good treatment for thrush?

Thu Jan 30 11:38:33 2003

Karla, Rainchild is right about the gentian violet. Also acidophilus is supposed to help. Beware of the yogurt with the live cultures. They are not lying -- it had live cultures when it left the yogurt factory, but in general by the time supermarket yogurts have made it all the way to your house the live cultures have died along the way... But if you like yogurt and your tummy can tolerate eating it, then you can stir some acidophilus into the yogurt and you'll be back to the live cultures. Yogurt is a pretty good delivery system -- it coats the tissues and it is cool. You can also mix the acidophilus into ensure (hey, it can't make it taste any WORSE, right? hahahaha!)

The other place I hang out on the net is a support group for breastfeeding moms. I nursed for over 7 years and never got thrush (lucky me!) but plenty of breastfeeding moms battle with it. And are limited by only being able to use treatments that babies can swallow safely. I'm paging through the thrush resources that I have and I'll get back to you if I find more. So far I've found the nystatin and the gentian violet are considered the strongest treatments of things safe to swallow, and acidophilus is good. Also raw garlic is mentioned as being useful.

With really tough cases the secret seems to be to throw multiple treatments at those yeasty beasties at the same time. Nystatin AND gentian violet AND acidophilus all at once.

At Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Karla wrote: >
>Is there anyone out there that would know a GOOD treatment for thrush? I
>have been treated for it since I came off the respirator and it just
>gets worse. On Monday I was given Mycostatin and it seemed to
>work...unti I woke up on Wednesday and my mouth was filled again. The
>doctor then doubled the dose, but I woke this morning with it back down
>my throat again. I am getting extremely frustrated as I have not been
>able to eat and it is really affecting my ability to drink. I know that
>I have become dehydrated...I see one of my doctor early this
>afternoon...my head swoons when I stand.
>
>I would love to find an answer. We have tried searching the
>internet...have even resorted to taking garlic pills (the kind that
>don't make you have bad breath)because it said that would help. When my
>doctor learned I was taking the pills, from my home health nurse, he
>said absolutely not. I don't think they were helping anyway, but
>anything is worth a try. I have tried a hydrogen
>peroxide/water swish which is supposed to work, but it didn't work
>either.
>
>I don't know how I can build up any strength if I am getting no
>nutrition. HELP!