Nerve Blocks.....My experience

Tue Mar 4 21:22:20 2003

I have had nerve blocks done in the past - and none of them were successful!! I am looking directly at the May 1981summary of my Pain Clinic experience at the Mayo Clinic at Rochester. Some of the handwriting I cannot read; but here is what was written:

~ ~ ~ ~

3-31-81 GI Clinic: Their "Impression: " Chronic functional abdominal distress. She THINKS it is related to ADHESIONS from 1970 surgery; but I DISMISSED this as an UNLIKELY cause."

Their Recommendations:

1.) Would not do further GI studies.

2.) Consider pain management center after PSYCHIATRY consultation -- or Pain Clinic consultation. Suspect pain management center would be best route for her.

~ ~ ~ ~

5-26-81: Pain Clinic Initial Consultation: "More than 10 years history of abdominal pain. Continuous burning pain RLQ, midline below incision. Patient feels ADHESIONS are cause of pain."

5-26-81 Nerve Category 1: "Tried local injection of 10 ml .25% marcaine into internal re ? faschia...no relief. (Tomorrow intercostal block to rule out abdominal wall pain. Finally to celiac plexus block if intercostal block unsuccessful.)"

5-27-81 Nerve Category 2: "Intercostal block T10 - T11 with 6ml .5% marcaine + 20 mg Depomedral to each intercostal nerve."

5-28-81 Nerve Category 3: "No relief from intercostal block. thoracic epidural T10 - T11 with 7 ml .25% marcaine and 70mg Depomedral. Loss of resistance technique. Some pain relief today."

5-29-81 Nerve Category 4: "No pain relief from thoracic epidural. Proceeded with right celiac plexus block with 12 ml .05% marcaine. No immediate relief. Relief was not obtained from this block. No further management from our department available. We have been unsuccessful in blocking the pain."

~ ~ ~ ~

For a week I had been on the receiving end of injections into specific locations on my spine...on a daily basis for each kind of nerve block. Needless to say since the nerve blocks did not give me any relief from pain, I had had it at that point!!

No one was listening to me!!!!! All I wanted to do was go home...and I did!!!!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: