Re: Securing operative reports is a MUST!! ..... by Beverly J. Doucette

Sat Mar 8 18:54:51 2003

I agree over a hundred percent on this, Helen and Bev. I took it upon myself to walk into the medical records department of the hospital where my hyst and lysis were done. I didn't like the gyn's answers. The receptionist in medical records was considerate enough to copy my post-hyst reports, discharge reports, and the pathology reports, right then and there. What I read really upset me, but at least I knew what was in the reports. The left ovary and tube, as well as the cervix, were unremarkable...not diseased!! The uterus had some small fibroids. Surgical report showed minimal endo. When I asked gyn if there were a lot of adhesions, she could not even tell me. She said she didn't really know. ( ??????) They placed Interceed as a barrier, and it didn't work. Always request your post-surgical and pathology reports. Millie.

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Helen Dynda To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 6:46 PM Subject: Securing operative reports is a MUST!! ..... by Beverly J. Doucette

X> Securing Operative Reports is a MUST!! ..... by Beverly J, Doucette

I read with interest and sadness about your discovery at having had an adhesionalysis without your knowledge. This is very unfortunate but far from uncommon! I too discovered that I did indeed have adhesions in the same way...via my operative reports!!! I cannot count on both hands how many times I've heard that same story repeated by adhesion sufferers...a far too often happening. If you have presented to a doctor with pain and symptoms that occurred following an invasive medical procedure (even years later) -- and have undergone diagnostic testing that resulted in no abnormal pathology being found as the cause of your symptoms -- you MUST secure your operative reports! Many of these surgical procedures result in the removal of the so-called "offending" organ; and when pathology has been done, that "offending" organ is found to NOT be the cause of your symptoms! You may be told that the "offending" organ was removed -- or that it was the cause of your symptoms -- only for you to present again (in a year or so - or less) with the very same symptoms as before; and you wonder why?

I have stated the importance of finding out as much as you can about your medical condition, to educate yourself as to why you are suffering, and to take responsibility for your medical care. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to know what, when and how your medical provider is handling your case.

By securing your operative reports -- as well as ALL associated pathology and cytology reports -- you are beginning to take responsibility for educating yourself; and as a result you will be able to understand if, in fact, you actually had adhesions. You will be able to understand which organs have been affected by adhesions; and you will better understand WHY you feel the symptoms that you present to your doctor with!

If your operative report(s) revealed that you had adhesions, you can bet that you have more adhesion involvement than is written in your operative report(s); because de novo (new) adhesions and reformed adhesions result from surgical procedures of any kind!! The formation of adhesions is a completely normal and natural occurrence!! Adhesions form in response to the body's attempt to heal and protect itself following a trauma, such as surgery.

If your operative report said adhesions were attached to your bladder -- and you're presenting with frequent urination or pressure, then you know there's a high probability that the adhesions (that were lysed around or on your bladder) have reformed -- as long as you have NOT been diagnosed with any other cause for your symptoms! By requesting and reading your operative reports, you will be able to recognize what you need to discuss with your doctor regarding your symptoms.

You can request copies of your operative reports by signing a release form at Medical Records at the hospitals where your surgeries were performed. You should NOT be charged for these records; because you are entitled to have them for a second opinion...and you do have the right to secure a second opinion!! One never knows when they will need to search for a new healthcare provider; so you ARE actually securing the records for that purpose! In the event you will be taking them to another doctor, make copies for yourself too!!

Please do this now. Be sure to request ALL associated pathology, cytology, post-operative reports. Also request copies of all diagnostic tests that you had prior to your surgery.

If you have any questions regarding your reports, ask for assistance in understanding them. Ask for help on the IAS Message Board; because it's very possible that someone else may have had a similar experience. BUT, whatever you do, secure your reports! This should be done NOT as a reflection on your surgeon or doctor -- but as part of your overall responsibility to know what's going on with your body and YOUR health care!

Adhesion disorder is NOT so elusive that surgeons and doctors don't know it's there. In fact, adhesion related disorder is very difficult to diagnose -- without undergoing an invasive procedure. If all diagnostic tests prove to be negative as to the cause of your symptoms -- especially if you've had a prior adhesionalysis and the symptoms are much the same -- then you can bet the adhesions are back! YOU can be sure about that..but a doctor can't!!!

Finally, be sure to request your operative reports; so you can verify if you may have had adhesions at one time! Don't wait for your surgeon or doctor to tell you; because you may have to wait forever!

My best regards to all of you; and I pray for an answer for your suffering. Peace within your pain can be found. God speed be with you all! Bev

Copyright © 2003

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: