Re: Help!

Thu Mar 13 05:30:18 2003

At Tue, 11 Mar 2003, K wrote: >Dearest K,

Have you ever secured your operative reports? Call the hospital where you had surgery and request them. They are copies and free to you at your request. Much insight can be gained by reading these. There are many nurses here and we can help you to decipher any big medical words that once had me so befuddled. They should say if your surgeons encountered any adhesions or not. You sure do fit the profile for adhesions from the types of surgeries you have had. The docs may not have told you all you need to know. If you do have adhesions then you should try to avoid anymore surgery as a vicious cycle can develope. Each new surgery you have and adhesions are cut down, you run the risk of their regrowth (with a vengence) and the addition of new ones are added. I would not reccomend a hyst at this point as you are so young and each surgery adds insult to your pelvic region and a hyst would do so and leave lots of new places for adhesions to take hold. My best advice would be to demand something for you pain and then comb through this sight and start to educate yourself as best you can. Ah, maybe revese that!! Not just the message board but the whole site is chock full of information and letters of introduction for your doc( print this one out and bring it to your doctors), disability letter and much more. Your docs can't keep up with the latest journals and breakthrus but you can. They too can become quite frustrated in trying to give you care. You need to be a participant in your own health care by becoming aware of all aspects in your case. This way you get to make the informed choice of which way your health care will take you. There is hope and you have a baby to care for. Keep that in mind if you must leave your doctor of who knows how many years. You deserve to be as comfortable as possible thru this ordeal and that means you deserve to have something that helps you function throught the pain.You are not the least bit crazy. You may be depressed, who wouldn't be. There is actual pain relief to be gained by antidepressants. The increase of seretonin helps the pain greatly. Do not be ashamed by this. This may help as I am sure you have your plate full with a 2 yr. old. Pain meds for this can be hard to tweek as you may have motility problems that can occur if your bowels are involved. As a mom myself I found the greatest relief from a non narcotic drug called neurontin ( some kind of seisure drug) as you still need to be active with you baby. Trust me ,you are beyond the motrin point as you are well aware of too. If you look at the nav bar on your left you will find there are volunteers from the IAS close to you who can perhaps assist you in finding the right doctor...maybe it is time for that cyst or that ovary to go but you need to see someone who has a clear understanding of post surgical adhesions. I have had a cyst blow and the pain brought me to my knees unable to speak. The darn thing kept growing back to boot! I have also had a hyst and not only did that not help me but it surely made things worse for me. Hang in there, you have found the right place to have your questions answered and to know you are not alone and to start an education that may in time save you from terrible things. Ask what you may on the board and someone should come along and answer, be it of a general or intimate question. Many travel your road and I thank god for the internet so we could find each other and not have to go it alone. Place your story on the quilt. Are you able to work, is you family supportive? Not all are supportive and you can talk about all that here, or thru private emails to your new ARD family. Feel free to contact me any time at the above email if you wish. Much love, Dawn

--
I'm no doctor, just a fellow sufferer like you but I hope you consider me a new friend.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: