Re: Adhesions following subtotal colectomy

Fri Mar 14 18:01:12 2003

Dear Kerry,

Do you recall how many surgeries you've had? Were ALL of your surgeries performed at the SAME hospital?

I want to encourage you go to Medical Records of the hospital(s) where your surgeries were perform -- and request copies of your operative and pathological reports for each and every surgery you've had. You may be expected to pay for these copies. Whether you have to pay - and how much - depends upon the hospital; because when I requested mine, I didn't have to pay.) These reports will give you a reliable account of your surgeries.

I'm not sure what a subtotal colectomy is. Do you know how much of your bowel was removed? Was any of your small intestine removed?

Since you go normally 5-15 times a day, I assume you have what is known as Short Bowel Syndrome (SBS). There are a few others, who have this same kind of problem. Just this month I posted a lot of websites about SBS. I suggest that you scroll to the bottom of the Message Board page (http://www.adhesions.org/forums/) - and enter the following in the search box: " Helen Dynda + Short Bowel Syndrome "....Click: Search: Adhesions.

Perhaps someone else, who is also dealing with this problem (SBS), will answer your message - and will be willing to share from their experience.

Love, Helen D.

~ ~ ~ ~

Re: Adhesions following subtotal colectomy; From: Kerry Deane (ladykmd@hotmail.com); Fri Mar 14 16:46:36 2003

I had a subtotal colectomy in Sept 1998 , the reason for the surgery was an extreme slow transit colon. I used to go every 4- 5 weeks if I was lucky. Since having the surgery my life has changed but not for the better. It collasped my vaginal areas and that led to a hysterectomy at 24 yrs of age .

Since having the subtotal , I have had 2 more laparotomys for a total bowel obstruction due to Adhesions. I suffer daily from adhesion pain I have had many many operations in the past hence all the adhesions.

I now take M.S.T ( Slow release morphine) as I get constant pains. The surgeons have said I have cohesive adhesions - the worst kind as they reform normally straight away once they have been removed. I would like to hear from anyone in a similar postion to myself.

I used to have pains from not going but since the subtotal I go normally 5 - 15 times a day and this has ruined my so called life. I now have been told my muscles in my rectum are dead and they have offered to remove the rectum and give me a illeostomy , I am not ready mentally for this kind of surgery . So anyone with any ideas or help I will really appreciate it. My e-mail ladykmd@hotmail.com ...K Deane

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: