Re: Amitriptyline

Mon Mar 24 14:48:25 2003

Amitriptyline is an old antidepressant which these days is used for people with chronic pain (such as from adhesions, arthritis), to help them sleep at night. It has a side effect of sedation. If the person also needs an antidepressant (and nearly everyone with chronic pain is depressed, because of dealing with chronic pain and all the losses associated with it),there are numerous newer antidepressants being used such as prosac, paxil, effexor, celexa, zoloft, etc. Anytriptelene does cause constipation for some people, so it is very important to drink 8 or moer glasses of water a day, and do whatever else works for you for constipation. Doses are from 10 mg. to 100 mg or more. I was on 50 mg. before I went to Germany for my surgery, and now I am down to 25 mg. I want to get down to 20 and will probably stay at that dose as I still have pain from arthritis and degenerative disk disease that makes it impossible to sleep. Amytriptelene is considered a very safe med. It also makes some people feel mentally slow and groggy in the morning. mary lou

--
mary lou

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: