Adhesions

Tue Apr 1 18:18:08 2003

When I was born I had a condition called intussusception, a telescoping of a loop of intestine into another loop. This resulted in surgery at the age of three months. At age nine I had my first adhesion surgery then again at age 24 which was 1993. In 1998 I began to have chronic gas pain stomach aches and diarrhea. After months and months of fighting doctors my OBGYN became fed up and reffered me to a surgeon who he thought would help me. He did, I had a laporoscopy and was FINE!

Since then I have had two babies and during the last pregnancy a similar diagnosis was determined when I was only 24 weeks along. Intermittent small bowel obstruction due to adhesions. I was hospitalized and fed through an IV for almost two weeks as I was unable to keep any food down. for the last three months of the pregnancy I was put on a liquid only diet and drank four cans of Ensure a day as my only food source.

Once the baby was born I felt a little better now however the problems are beginning again. I am back to suffering from constant gas pain every time I eat, all the way up to my shoulders. I have diarrhea, constipation and a pinching pain in the lower pelvis just like all the other times. I vomit off and on and feel absolutely miserable and HATE eating.

The surgeon who did the laporoscopy in 1998 has changed his practice and can not help me this time. The new surgeon who was very uncomfortable with my condition during the pregnancy demanded I get a new gastrointestinal doctor since my regular one opted against new testing saying "this isn't rocket science you need surgery". From past experience I know these things do not necessarily show up on tests including GI series. Once the surgeon saw my negative one he returned my phone call and was less than nice. I was in tears. I now face more testing including the ever lovely colonoscopy but not for another month.

I feel very depressed and desparate and am now having post partum symptoms.

I need help and support.

--
Thanks for listening

Caroline

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: