Re: Adhesions and small bowel obstructions.

Thu Apr 3 09:27:52 2003

Ms Lee,

Thank you, your post really made me sit back and think about my life in general. Your post brougt tears to my eyes. I'm not going to lie to you, there has been many times when I've spent all night hanging over the toilet bowel, wishing that the Lord would take my life, but then I look at my children and my husband and then realize I have to be there for them.

In between bowel obstrucions, I lead somewhat a normal life as you can say. I've also learned that if I eat large meals, it makes the obsruction process worse, so I pick all day long. I've lost about 8lbs in 4 weeks because I'm scared to eat, for fear of enduring the obstrucions again. I'm in an obstrucive pattern of about every 2 weeks now.

I'm in the same boat as you, we cannot afford to go over seas to resolve the ahdesion problems, things are streached to max right now. As of now, I see another surgeon Wednesday for a consult. I'm not getting my hopes up, because in the back of my mind, I know what he's going to say to me. I just want some ease of the suffering.

Thank you again, Ms Lee for your kind words and for sharing your story. I admire you for being so strong. Maybe, some day, things will get better for us. Untill then the only thing we can do is keep on living and Praying.

Sincerely,

--
Heather

At Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Ms Lee wrote: > >>I'm getting really desprate. I can't deal with this any longer. I have >>had to deal with partial small bowel obstructions since Oct 2001.> > >Heather, I understand your frustrations! Kinda in same boat as you, and >this boat of mine sails about every 5 years after they go in and clean >me out. > >I wish I could give you some spirit, as an adhesion sufferer myself, and >a 70% disabled veteran because of it, I have found taken pain meds was >the only way for me to lead somewhat of a normal active life with >restrictions of course. > >Having had over 11 abdominal surgeries over 27 years, its hard for me to >get excited about going thru another one. They are evaluating me in >June at Shands, in N. Florida due to the complexity of my history. But >its a bitter sweet since I know the adhesions will be back. > >But you know what, what has gotten me thru was realizing my options are >limited, and at best temporary if have the surgery again [except for our >Germany success cases] which I cannot afford as an option. > >One day I decided I was gonna live with this disease, and then take my >pain pills because I did go lead my life. Food is a horrible trigger, >and the ladies here can help you eat better and curb triggers with great >suggestions. I lost alot of weight but stablized once I learned to >"pick" all day vs. eating meals. If I am having a real bad bowel day, >I go from bathroom back to kitchen and start nibbling again [crackers, >soup]. > >Knowing your limitations and ACCEPTING them is another area I had to >come to grips with, I was causing the exacerbation because I was in >denial. > >I know now that I cannot lift or push heavy things, I cannot exert after >I eat/nibble, I cannot walk long distances, I cannot stand for long >periods of time, and I do NOT eat a thing when I am way from the house. > >Doing these lifestyle changes have not solved my partial bowel >obstructions, but they have prevented me from AGGRAVATING my disease >which I freely admit I was doing!!!!!! > >Lifestyle changes to NOT correct our bowel/pain problems but combined >with pain medication has allowed me to live with this problem, be as >active as I can be which has kept me from sliding into emotional funks. >I took up fishing too! > >If the Docs and technological advances coming can help me long term, Im >game. But if nothing can help me then I reside on this "Plan B" which >is managing and coming to grips with my problems, knowing my triggers >and limitations etc. > >The whole reason my Doctor prescribes percocet every month, is because I >am active, and not vegging on the sofa all day. He said he is >medicating me because every day I face these adhesion demons put my >clothes on and say to myself,"Your not taking my choices from me, Your >not controlling my day either", I take my pill and out the door I go. > >My trying to be active is a trigger, but the meds were given to handle >the downside of trying to live on the upside. > >My heart goes out to you sweetie, I wish I could take everyones pain and >sacrifices away from them, as much as they would love to take my bad >days from me. > >Your not alone in your struggles. > >This forum is the best :-)).

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: