Re: Good Pain Management Clinic or Doctor

Sat Apr 5 05:32:22 2003

Dear Brenda,

I can't give you the names of any doctors since I am in Tx. I just wanted to say I am right there with you. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2000. There were going to leave the ovaries at first but my gyn said that the left ovary was just ovarian tissue when he got in there because the adhesions had attacked that left ovary. I had also had numerous hemorrhagic cysts on that ovary resulting in surgeries and sometimes hormone therapy. I had endometriosis really bad and had several ectopic pregnancies on that left side between the opening of the fallopian tube and the ovary. The right ovary was being attacked with adhesions and was wrapped around the rectum. I found out this past August when I went to the ER for pain, that I had a cyst on my left ovary. I kept telling them that I didn't have an ovary. But 2 CT's and an ultrasound later, I found out that I did. I asked the ER doctor is I still needed to take hormones seeing that the ovary had a cyst on it which must mean that it was functioning. He told me that it was not functioning. My gyn still denied that I had an ovar. So when I went to see a new gyn in Dec, he yelled at me for taking hormone replacements. He said I could have had a stroke. I told him the ER doctor said the ovary was not functioning. He said that is the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. And said "It has a cyst on it! It's a functioning ovary!" Anyway, he took me off the hormones. I have had cysts forming every month now. Sometimes there are several and I am in extra pain (meaning just not adhesion pain) for 2 weeks. They hurt like *&%#@$. The second month and now this month my breasts have been so sore along with it. I can't stand for my clothes to even barely touch them at all. It feels like someone has smashed them in a vise for hours and now they are completely bruised. I had really forgot how painful ovulation could be. The gyn said that the adhesions are smashing the cysts too. The ovary is almost a full sized ovary. I never knew that they could grow back. Dr. Gerhart said that is one organ that will regenerate itself if there is a remnant left. But I have had doctors saying that there is no way ovaries can grow back and that my gyn must have left one in. ANd I have had doctors say that it is ovarian remnant syndrome. I just think my body has a mind of its own. I mean I am glad that I don't have to take those hormones any more since this ovary is producing enough for me and the natural hormones are better for me. I have $20 more a month that I am not spending on prescriptions. But now I have more pain because that ovary keeps forming these cysts. ANd they are painful! I have a lot of the same type of pains that you listed too. I hurt down the backs of both legs and in the groin on the left side and down the front of the left leg all the way into my foot. I have back pain especially in my sacral area or tailbone. I also have pain under my ribs, down the center of my tummy and the whole pelvic region, and all along my left side of my tummy.

Anyway, I wish I could help you with the doctors. Just keep looking until you find one. Sometimes it helps to call and talk to their nurses before you even go see a new doctor. That way you can get a feel for whether or not they will treat you. Take care and email me anytime.

Love and hugs, Jenny

At Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Brenda wrote: >
>When I first posted on the IAS message board someone sent me a list of
>the pain management clinics and doctors that were sympathetic towards
>patients who suffer from adhesions. Somehow I have misplaced that list
>and need to find a new doctor. As usual my current doctor has given up
>on me and they all seem to do the same thing. When I first go to them
>they are very sympathetic and tell me they will do everything they can
>to help me have a decent quality of life and prescribe pain medication
>but after about a year and all they are doing is calling in my
>prescriptions I think that they figure they are not making any money off
>me so they start giving me a hard time when it comes time to refill my
>medications. I never take more than prescribed and always follow thier
>instructions snd up to that point they have never had a problem calling
>them in or me picking the prescription up. They know that I will have
>to go somewhere else since withput my medication I am totally unanle to
>function and after being on the strong meds I have been on I would go
>through major withdrawls without them. It almost seems like that would
>be illegal for a doctor to do that after keeping a patient on very
>strong meds knowing what will happen without them taking it.It would be
>a different story if I abused them, but I don't, he has operated on me
>and seen first hand how severe the adhesions are and knows that I also
>have ovarian remnants that keep forming large cyst that hurt like heck,
>the adhesions have somehow effected my right hip down to my knee during
>my last surgery he said that he had to disect deep and went over into my
>right side to go around to the back to try and get the ovarian remnants
>but was not sucessful and that is when the pain started in my right hip
>and left groin area. If anyone has a list of doctors or a good pain
>management clinic in NC please either email me or post here and let me
>know. Wishing everyone pain free days and nights!
>God Bless
>Brenda

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: