Re: possible kidney stone

Sun Apr 13 16:05:47 2003

I just want to pipe in my situation here, because this talk of kidney stones hits a nerve w/ me - no pun intended.

My pain, (WHICH IS SO FAR UNDIAGNOSED), is all over my right side, a highly uncomfortable feeling that's like a 50 pound rock inside my right torso, and around my back at the waistline..., and like a vice grip gets on me tightening up - with stabbing pain in several places, including right under my breast, about 2 inches lower than my last rib on the right, on my side at my waistline towards the back, and in my right pelvic region. The pain OFTEN radiates up into my right shoulder & right side of my neck, and right down through my right leg, with aches in my thigh, knee, and into my right ankle. In fact, on a few occasions, it's gotten so bad it feels like I've actually INJURED my right ankle, even though I know I haven't (and the pain comes & goes in my ankle, completely unlike an injury).

I should say that kidney stones DO show up on cat scans. I was suspected of having a kidney infection of some type or a kidney stone. I've had about 5 urine tests in the past couple of months - all clear, no infections. And my cat scan showed NO kidney stones on the right side. BUT it showed a very small kidney stone in the LEFT kidney. Which explains why I infrequently have a tiny spot of blood in my urine, and why I occasionally feel a pinching on my left side (pain that's not even worth mentioning it's so slight), but does NOT explain the pain on my right side.

And I too sometimes get pain with urination. Sometimes it hurts when I have to urinate, and sometimes it hurts WHILE I go. And then I get some relief afterwards. In fact, it's gotten to the point that ANY type of bathroom activities have a good chance of relieving some of my pain or discomfort, so I always rush to the bathroom if I think I might need to go, just in hopes I'll feel a bit better afterwards!

I've been told this is "nerve pain" - but of course that does NOT explain why the pain seems to be caused by some type of constipation... but I seem to be able to get constipated with diarreah - which I'm told is impossible, but it does happen to me!

Susie, I don't want to upset you... The good news is, if it IS a kidney stone, it's EASILY diagnosed at least! I don't know about how easily it's fixed - but at least it's easily diagnosed - which is more than could be said for adhesions!

And even if you think it's not a kidney stone - I would want to have that ruled out anyway, if I were you. I mean, it's worth it for a bunch of reasons to get checked. I don't think there's anything scarier than having pain unexplained, and finding out what it is... it could be dangerous, after all.

But like I said, I have pain that seems to totally mimic a right kidney stone and gallstones - and I have neither apparently.

That's why I'm here.

At Sun, 13 Apr 2003, DBacken100@aol.com wrote: >
>Dear Susie,
>It sure sounds like it could be a kidney stone, but this can only be
>diagnosed with special X-rays. If it is a stone trying to pass, the pain may
>radiate to your right lower back or down the inside of your right leg.
>Kidney stones can be too large to pass on their own, this is another reason
>you need to get to the hospital. Whatever is causing you this pain needs to
>be discovered as pain is the bodies way of telling you something is wrong.
>None of us likes to go to the hospital, that's for sure, but sometimes
>waiting it out isn't the best thing and especially when you don't know what
>is wrong for sure.
>Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out.
>In friendship,
>Deb

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: