Short-acting vs. long acting pain meds

Thu Apr 24 07:41:49 2003

Has anyone on here switched from say vicoden, 2 or 3 a day that only brings relief for a few hours and it's up and down all day, to a long lastng patch or oxycontin? I have not wanted to do this, I think for the fear of having to accept my condition is just not getting better. I keep telling my PCP, "I think I'm getting better and will probably not need these meds much longer" I'm constantly doing new things to fight this, what I strongly believe is adhesions from transverse colon to diaphragm on left side, maybe even spleen. Right now I'm in physical therapy with a great therapist, (if p.t. can help, she would be able to help me. I've seen about 5 other p.t.'s and she's the only one that addresses the true area of pain.) She stretches what she says feels like they could very well be adhesions. So I think if I keep getting this done, I'll have to get better. Well, I'm sitting here typing this in more pain than I was in before P.T. I've been going about 2 months now and I don't want to give it up because the exercise makes me feel in control at least and of all of my doctors, surgeons, etc., she has cared more than any of them, along with my PCP. And giving up the p.t. means having to say, "well, that's one more thing that did not work". Anyway, I was wondering if the long-acting pain meds help you have a better quality of life. Right now I mainly take my pain meds to help me through work and avoid taking them on weekends so I do not get addicted. But this means I do nothing on weekends but lay around with an ice pack or tens unit or anyone of them other things that's 'supposed' to help. It's no quality of life whatsoever, but I do realize I'm very fortunate to still be able to work, as I really love my job.

Pain-free thoughts to everyone, Joyce

--
Joyce

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: