Short acting vs long acting pain meds

Thu Apr 24 08:23:44 2003

Dear Joyce, I can tell you what my pain management doctor had me do to access what pain med would be best to try and maybe this could help you. She had me keep a daily pain journal using the time frames of morning, afternoon, evening and night. I wrote down my pain level from 1 to 10 at each of these times and what affected the pain level like taking a short acting pill, exercise, relaxation, heating pad, etc. You know, all the things we try to relieve the pain. I did this for 2 weeks then she went over the journal and said I would benefit from the 12 hour pain med, twice a day. That did give me a much better quality of life and I'm able to do things now like go shopping, drive a car, do some housework and other stuff I couldn't do. I have been on them for over a year now and haven't had any problems with them. She is not concerned about addiction because she said that all the studies show when you take pain meds appropriately and for true pain, people are very unlikely to become addicted. Helen Dynda has some great articles on this subject you should check the archives for. It will ease your mind. I hope my experience will help you. Please write if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. In friendship, Deb

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: